Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
splus

E220s battery losing capacity, 20% battery wear in first 45 days

[ Edited ]

I got my E220s a month and a half ago. The battery started to lose its full charge capacity from first day. Every time I use the laptop on battery (normal use, never going below 10% of battery, and usually just up to 40-50%) the full charge capacity drops down more or less when recharged. If it is used daily the capacity drops some half a percent each time it is used on battery, and if used after a week of being plugged in A/C the capacity drops several %. It's crazy, it looks as if the battery is programmed to lose some half percent capacity per day however you use it!

And now, the battery full charge capacity is 20% less than the full designed capacity which it had when I got it 45 days ago, basically knocking off 1 hour of already weak 4-5 hours of battery life. And going down little by little every day.

I tried to reset the battery from Power Manager few weeks ago, but the full charge capacity increased just a little bit, and then continued to go down again.

Crazy question - does anyone know what I need to do - do I have to wait for couple of more months until the battery wear eats entire battery and then ask for a replacement, or can I ask Lenovo for a battery replacement now?

I tried using the battery firmware update on E220s driver download page but my battery FRU (42T4935) is not in the list of batteries that "need this firmware", which aparently fixes EXACTLY this issue (well, not sure if this battery firmware just stops further battery wear or it actually recovers what's already lost?)

What makes things complicated is that E220s has a non-removalble battery and I really need to use my laptop. I found instructions on Lenovo's support training site (http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/) how to replace the battery, so I'm hoping I don't need to send the laptop in for service just for replacement of battery. At the moment I'm in southeast Europe where it looks like there are no Lenovo service centers around.

Any help or advice is really appreciated!

Punch Card
Elisha

Re: E220s battery losing capacity, 20% battery wear in first 45 days

Try updating the firmware for the battery by downloading here: Lenovo Battery Frimware

Token Ring
splus

Thanks Elisha. I already tried flushing a battery firmware update, even that fresh new one that came out 2 days ago, and my battery is again not in the list of the batteries that "need an update". I actually wrote that first post just after trying to install that firmware...

Lenovo, are you listening? Battery with FRU 42T4935 needs to be included in that firmware!

But I'm not sure any firmware can bring back those 20% of battery...

Punch Card
Elisha

Sorry that didn't work out. One mine when it was new it was only 92% capacity. I calibrated it and got 98% and then it dropped to 94% a couple of days ago.

I ran that firmware update and now for the first time it says 100% capacity so hopefully it lasts. The laptop is less tha 1 month old.

Token Ring
splus

[ Edited ]

Hm, that sounds quite interesting!
Did you do the battery reset (from Power manager) as it says in the instructions in battery firmware?

It says the battery full capacity will go to 100% after flushing the firmware, but that it is necessary to recalibrate the battery with battery reset to get the "real" capacity.

It would be great if the battery didn't actually lose the capacity, but that the error is only in the chip that reports the full capacity value...

Punch Card
Elisha

Yes battery will charge to 100% no problem. The the battery capacity itself was lower. So it will charge to 100% of whatever the capacity of the battery was.
I did the battery reset the first time and the battery capacity went from 92% to 98% and stayed there for at least 2 weeks but yesterday I noticed it had gone down to 94%.
Did the battery reset again but was still at 94% until I did the firmware update and now it is 100%
I don't care what the charging indicator says but I do care that the capacity of teh battery is good since it is less than a month old. If it drops to 80% after a year I'm ok with it. Just not this soon,
Token Ring
splus

Sorry, I meant did you do the battery reset after flushing the firmware?

I think I read that after flushing the battery with firmware the battery resets its full capacity value to 100% (same as designed), but that it is recommended to do the battery reset after flushing the firmware to obtain the accurate full capacity.

It would be great if it stays 100%, it would mean that there's nothing wrong with the battery itself, that it was just the chip that was reporting wrong full capacity value...

Yeah, I think it's normal if the capacity drops down gradually over time, I'm OK with that as well, even though E220s has a Li-polymer battery that is rated to 1000 recharge cycles. But if my battery continues do go down at this pace it'll reach zero in several more months!