Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
loreyn
Accepted Solution

E420 (1141) - slow bootup

Hi,

My thinkpad E420 (1141CTO) takes about 1min and 20 secs to boot up and another 20-30secs the desktop will show up after I type my password, and it made worse (too slow to bootup) when I accidentally un-install the rapidboot. I reinstalled the rapidboot version 1.10 by downloading in the Lenovo site and upgraded the RAM into 8gb but is still the same.

I thought it will take only less than a minute to boot up for this laptop.

Could anyone help me please to speed up boot time.

E420 i5 - 2520M @ 2.50Ghz, AMD HD6630M  

RAM 8Gb

500gb @ 7200RPM

Thanks,

Loreyn

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: E420 (1141) - slow bootup

Can you try defragmenting the drive? It should take about 60 seconds to get to your wallpaper.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1099/688/1377, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
loreyn

Thanks for your reply.

After I defrag the drive it shows C: 0% Fragmented ; Q:1%Fragmented ; SYSTEM_DRV:0% Fragmented, but it's still above 1min to get to my desktop, I think it's still not the expected performance of this machine.

Punch Card
Heymatt123

[ Edited ]

I would recommend a system utility program( system maintainance) 

like Ccleaner or Advanced system care free

These programs clean up your computer, registry, defrags, unnecessary files etc.

Guru
PeterTWJ

@ loreyn

1. Click Start on the taskbar, type msconfig on the search bar. Enter
Go to Startup tab 
Disable / Uncheck most, except:
Your antivirus software / Security Suites
ThinkPad Power Manager (If you installed it)
ThinkVantage AutoLock (You can uncheck if you do not need auto-locking security, etc.)
ThinkVantage Active Protection System

Microsoft Windows Operating System (if available)

Intel(R) Common User Interface (You may need if you uses Intel Anti-Theft Technology with subscription with Computrace or other)

Doing this would reduce the amount of application tray, loader, etc. It would reduce the memory usage and allows you to startup your computer faster.

2. In msconfig, under Boot Tab, go to advanced option and check Number of processors and select the highest number.

Although Microsoft said by default, the system boots from all cores / threads, this tweaks is able to cut down most of systems / VM boot time by a fraction. This helps especially if you have heavy background task. 

3. Disable Services that you probably won;t need
http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/registry.htm
Download the Safe script for your version of Windows 7 and double-click, add to registry
If there's any problem or if you want to reverse the process, you could just download the Default script and add to registry, it would go back to default.

This link shows what services is modified or remain the same, etc.
http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/ 

Disable unnecessary services reduce the amount of memory use for the system and at the same time improve system performance and security

4. If you are using Power Manager, choose Maximum Performance plan. If not, choose High Performance plan. Power plans affects boot performance. Choosing Balance or Power Saver, or other plan would prevent the system to have the most optimum / fastest boot.

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

What's DOS?
davidnobel

Betreff: E420 (1141) - slow bootup

I am having the same issue with my 520 if anyone can help. It used to boot up fast when purchased. Is there maybe a software error that I can fix and something I can run that will get the bootup speed back to normal?

Thanks

Fanfold Paper
loreyn

Thank you all for your help. You're all great....
What's DOS?
nicolebooth

Great Suggestions indeed! I have tried defragmenting my harddrive and use Advanced SystemCare for my laptop of 5 years and it really works! So I guess you can give it try. :smileyhappy:

Nicole..