Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
dustinchan

[E420] Is it possible to remove the optical drive and replace with traveller cover

Is it possible to remove the optical drive and replace it with a traveller cover? it's nice to have the optical drive sometimes, but most of the time i don't need it, especially when i'm travelling with my laptop. so is it possible to do so?

thanks in advance!

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: [E420] Is it possible to remove the optical drive and replace with traveller cover

hey dustinchan,

welcome to the forums,

yes you can do that. refer to this manual : http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0a60575_02.pdf

on how to remove the optical drive to add on the travel cover

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
What's DOS?
dustinchan

Re: [E420] Is it possible to remove the optical drive and replace with traveller cover

but where can I get a travel cover for E420?

Retired Employee
Serge1410

get in contact with our sales team via

http://www.lenovo.com/contact/ca/en/

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,238
Solutions: 1,331

Don't think Lenovo ever sold a travel cover for the E420, there is aftermarket hdd caddy that you can use as travel cover (but they weigh only 50 g less than a optical drive).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

http://support.lenovo.com/en_NL/downloads/detail.page?DocID=PD009697

There is a travel cover listed.  Part number 04W1482.

It's just not shown in the picture.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Token Ring
hwso1129

How much does the optical drive weigh?

Currently considering removing optical drive, so this is an interesting topic for me.

Punch Card
iMAC

Also consider that removing optical drive means replacing relatively large piece of steel with... air.  Notebook is probably designed to have this support to chassis (especialy, if you have 420, not 420s).

I am for hdd caddy  or extra battery instead of optical drive :-)

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

It weighs approx 5.5 ounces. 

iMAC makes a good point concerning structural integrity.  

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!