Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
nkull

Re: E420 motherboard problems

From a Thinkpad FAN who still LOVES my T61 that is running strong and is abused daily by kids:

The EDGE is a pile of crap.  The system shames the Thinkpad name, and resembles an Ideapad in quality.

My motherboard just failed, two weeks over a year old.

Other things I hate about it:

Feels Cheap

Keyboard is total crap

Build quality so poor that the keybaord has actually left imprints on the screen!!!

Motherboard failure

Wake up, get rid of this Edge pile of crap line, seriously... I'm embarased to call this a ThinkPad.

Back to the T series, little extra money for a system that just keeps going, won't miss this Edge one bit, but still upset.

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
What's DOS?
Norris

While I am happy with the design and capabilities of my E420, I am having the same motherboard issue very early on in the laptop's life and want to add to the discussion for evidence and in the hope that Lenovo takes action.  I purchased the laptop new four months ago.  After about two hours total run time, I went to boot one day and got no power, even after a static discharge.  No charging LED when plugged in.  I sent it in under warranty and within two days had it back.  The paperwork claims they replaced the motherboard.  Last week after approx. 12 hours total run time on the laptop the same thing happened.  I just got the laptop back from Lenovo, and the paperwork claims they replaced the motherboard again.  As you can tell, I rarely use the laptop, and I only use it for word processing and internet research, so I'm in no way putting the components under heavy load.

Judging by the above cases where the motherboard fails, and judging by my experience of having two fail within the first 12 hours of use, I think there is a common problem here that I hope Lenovo is working on to correct.  My electrical outlet is not the issue, and Lenovo verified that my power cord and battery are fine.

Punch Card
mtemp

Thought I'd add my experience here as well.  My E420 with Intel i5 is headed back today for the 2nd time to replace the motherboard.  In both instances it has completely died, to the extent that plugging in the power adapter does not light the green power light. 

The system lasted about 3 months, then died, then was repaired.  This repair has lasted about 1 month.  Was editing a chart yesterday morning (which was quite time critical) and the machine powered off while I was typing.

Based on my experience, and reading other comments here, I think there's a design issue with these machines.  I doubt Lenovo will do anything but wait out the warranty, but I plan to use mine a lot for the next 8 months and force Lenovo to pay to fix it every time it fails.  I figure 2 repairs is costing them as much as what I paid for the machine.

This experience is enough to send me to Apple....

Paper Tape
regulluz

I also want to add my experience and note that I am very upset about this whole situation.

The IT department purchased an Edge 520 for my use after many months of persuation from my part. I was a huge Lenovo advocate. The company is married to Dell, basically so, it was very hard to get them to terms.

I wanted Lenovo because of the apparent quality of their products - apparent because they do resemble what the previous ThinkPad line from IBM was. Like nkull, I have a T61 that has been running straigh for over 4 years. I wanted that ThinkPad quality experience on my job. I trusted the wrong partner,  however, as all Lenovo gave me was a huge dissapointment and a "better luck, next time note".

So I have a lemon Edge 520. After a week sitting on a desk, with a closed lid and unplugged, it stopped working, just like mrmmd said. Being this my main working machine (the one I use to gain money and make the world around me go around) just imagine what it was like to know that I would be without my main tool for potentially 6 business days. 17 business days later and many complaints in Tweeter, the computer came back with a nice gift: Neither the touchpad, glide point or wifi work! They've now opened a new ticket and want me to send it back, less than 24hrs after it arrived from the depot.

My huge dissapointed comes from me having so much trust in Lenovo. - I was an advocate, telling people it was the best of the crop and buying many machines for many different businesses.. - and then their support is this bad. I can understand that electronics fail. I just don't understand how a huge company like this do not have parts for their systems, take so long in repairing them and don't even make it right.... all while myself, who (wrongly) chose them out of the many other manufacturers, loose money on their behalf. Isn't it the whole point of their a dvertisements? I mean, we're not buying Thinkpads to chat on Facebook, or at least not me. I guess Lenovo cares for his customers as much as they care for their toilets.

I know it's long but I am on fire.

Have all a wonderful weekend!

Regards,

Reg

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Reg,

I appreciate your advocacy and saw your tweets - perhaps you are working with Gavin and Ty?

Can you send me your contact info and the MT / Serial of the unit via PM?  Let's see if there is something else we can do.

I hate to see you soured on the Edge.

All,

Looking into these failure reports.  Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
aalishan

Hi,

I would add my experience here as well. I am a telecommunication engineer and have been using my previous laptops intensively and extensively but not a single one gave up on me. It has been a year since I left that job and handed over my company laptops. After reading many reviews and considering my budget, I bought an edge E420. 

I have been using my edge occassionaly, for internet browsing and text editing. Surprisingly, it went dead last week. It was revived once by a power reset (pressing power button for 10 times ....) but the second time it did not power on at all. I got it back today and the tech stated the reason to be a motherboard failure. 

I am very much worried after reading these reviews. If it is a design issue, I might consider getting rid of it before the warranty runs out.

Aali

Paper Tape
nam3less

Hi,

I would like to pitch in too in the same discussion. We have bought 3 lenove e420 i3 notebooks 6 months and 1 of them (mine) wont power off. I use this at work so its used 10hours x 5 days continously. Before it blew off, i was using the machine on battery power and had it shut down when the battery power was around 5% after the battery warning system show. The next day i was trying to turn on the machine on power source and the machine just wont boot up. Finally i asked lenovo to check the problem they confirmed it to be a motherboard problem and now i am waiting for it to be fixed. In the meantime i have bought another E420 this time with I5 and hoping the same issue doesnt happen with me again. The replacement unit will be used by my colleague once its fixed back. My current I5 laptop is giving hotness issues which a lot of users are feeling because of switchable graphics which i am trying to figure out now on a separate issue.

I am definitely disappointed with the whole EDGE experience and will never recommend to any of my friends. I am happy camper with Dell inspiron and the device works beautifully since the last 5 years though i have replaced 2 batteries in the same time but it works on power without the battery which is what the notebooks are supposed to do. I do believe there are intermittent problems with the Edge laptops which i hope Lenove works out.

Paper Tape
kevinrse

Well, I guess I'd better give my two cents as well.  As some other commenters have indicated, my primary concern here is that this is a known issue and I hope Lenovo does something about it.

My last two laptops lasted me 6.5 and 4 years, respectively.  The latter was a used Dell Inspiron that cost me $300 and performed like a champ.  I retired it to upgrade for more power, not because of technical problems.  My refurbed Thinkpad Edge e420, purchased 1.5 months ago, was the best-built machine I'd owned up to now.  I have been very pleased with its performance and design, so having it brick on me today was a major disappointment.

This machine has a 1-year warranty on it.  If (God forbid) I experience multiple bricks as many other commenters in this thread have, you can be sure I'll make Lenovo repair it up to the last day - but I've only got a year.  If I have a repeat of this failure, I'll be discouraging all of my friends and family from buying Lenovo machines.  I bought this one because it was part of the Thinkpad line, and Thinkpad is known for quality.

I really liked Thinkpad and was excited to own one again.  Please don't make me leave.

pru
What's DOS?
pru

Hello all, and expecially Lenovo reps,

I too had a very surprising and early motherboard issue. Six days ago, after only 6 months of use, during which I was very pleased with my Edge E520, the computer very suddenly shut down while I was working and could not be revived. I got it back this morning, and the reason was motherboard failure. I rely on this machine for all my work and deadlines, and cannot afford to lose days at a time waiting for it to be repaired. It seems clear from this discussion and other posts that this is a known issue, and therefore it seems clear that Lenovo is responsible both to its customers who invested in this faulty machine, and to the good name of its ThinkPad series (of which I was a firm supporter before, as were both of my parents).

After getting the laptop back, I called customer support asking how I might be able to avoid any reoccurance of such surprise shutdowns, and they said there was nothing they could advise me. If there is no known solution to a known problem with machines under warranty, I think more drastic measures are in order to compensate customers, or provide them with a more reliable machine.

I would be happy to hear a clear statement from Lenovo on this matter.

Sincerely,

R. Pliskin

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

@pru,

since it is a EEPROM chip familiar, there is not much you can do to avoid it. Basically, either the chip is faulty (although faulty chips are very small in number) or it is not.

If it is, then it will fail overtime (hopefully within warranty). If it is NOT faulty, then there is nothing you should be worried about.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft