Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
MysticRain

E420s - Graphics problems: blotchy looking unicolored areas/gradients

I have had this notebook for a few weeks now and I think it was like this from the beginning -I just didin't notice because I had only been working with text. Now that I wanted to edit a photo, it suddenly became very obvious that the visual display is somehow faulty. Areas with one color that is not 100% unicolored look like you used the spraypaint in ms paintbrush...

I googled the problem but only found one entry similar to my problem where a bios upgrade was responsible. Could this be possible? If so, how do I fix it?

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: E420s - Graphics problems: blotchy looking unicolored areas/gradients

Hello MysticRain and welcome to community,

First update the video driver and check if it resolve the issue. Kindly download driver  as per your video card.

Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit)

Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7 (64-bit)

AMD PX4.0 Graphics Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)

If the issue persist then you need to update the BIOS. You amy choose Windows update or bootable cd update.

BIOS Update Bootable CD for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), XP

README for BIOS Update Bootable CD

BIOS Update Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), XP

Hope your issue gets resolved.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: E420s - Graphics problems: blotchy looking unicolored areas/gradients

It's probably just dithering. The display panel is likely 6-bit TN dithered up to 8-bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering#Digital_photography_and_image_processing
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase