Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
mdmdc

E420s Microphone problem

Hi,

My microphone doesn't work.

my microphone records sound with a very heavy background noise that is not conceivable. I tried skype, and people can only listen to my fragmented words unless I shout 1cm in front of the little hole next to the camera.

I tried to reinstalled the driver, uninstalled skype, tested it on the sound recorder, checked on the control panel, but nothing works. 

Can someone kindly help?

Thanks,

Md

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: E420s Microphone problem

hey mdmdc,

uninstall current audio drivers, let windows install its generic drivers.

test mic with Sound Recorder from windows. Is the result the same ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
mdmdc

Serge,

I uninstalled the drive and using the windows automatic default as suggested, the microphone now records low volumn background noise, but still nothing legible, or is in fact recording anything. The microphone only shows reaction when I tap on the sound hole.

Do you think this is software crash?

Cheers,

md

Guru
PeterTWJ

[ Edited ]

Hi, mdmdc

Some of the ThinkPad W520 users having similar problems as yours and relegated it as one of the worst microphone.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-bad-microphone-Usable/td-p/528497

However, this is the solution and make it one of the best microphone:

1. Install back Realtek drivers from Lenovo.

Through this website: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-77128

Or

Using System Update

2. Try to install Original Realtek drivers, which usually works well for any PCs:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&Down...

3. Open Realtek HD Audio Manager, go to Microphone Tabs, Microphone Effect Tabs, Enable Microphone Effects such as Noise Suppression and Acoustic Echo Cancellation and other if available.

4. Go to Microphone Tabs, Default Format Tabs and change the Default Format to the highest. (By default, it is the lowest)

5. Go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording Tabs > Microphone > Properties > Listen Tabs > Ensure Listen to this device is Unchecked. (This is the root of the problem, ignore if your driver does not have this problems.)

This should solve your issues.

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

Paper Tape
mdmdc

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the reply, but the microphone still won't work.

I tried the settings for the W520

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-bad-microphone-Usable/td-p/528497

It doesn't work.

I tried to installed Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs as suggested, but Realtek HD audio manager cannot be found on my computer. (although I cannot understand what did you mean by "Install back Realtek drivers from Lenovo", since my E420s never had a realtek driver, the original driver is a Conexant 20671 SmartAudio.)

Should I uninstall the original SmartAudio/ Lenovo-WebConferencing software? seems like there are a lot of other pre-installed software that is linked to.

I think I'll call lenovo...  :-/ 
Why would I switch form Mac to thinkpad in the first place..

Md 

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi mdmdc

Sorry about it, my mistake.

Perhaps, you could go through this 4 simple steps, this normally solves microphone problems, etc.

1. Install to the latest E420s conexant driver.

2. Try disabling any Microphone VoIP optimization in Conexant.

3. Change to the highest Bits and Hz as possible.

go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Microphone > Advanced

4. Reduce Microphone Boost level and increase mic level to compensate a bit.

Alternatively, if it still does not work for you, you could try using Dolby Home Theater v4 driver and software. Which is better and more stable compared to default Conexant driver and software. And repeat Step 3 and 4. It should be able to work, if not, revert back to Conexant default driver.

Installation method
Subject: Simplifications of installing and optimizing Dolby Home Theater v4

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/td-p/442761/page...

Hopefully, this would work for you this time. :smileyvery-happy:

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

Blue Screen Again
ndoelling

Re: E420s Microphone problem SOLUTION

[ Edited ]

Hi Md,

I don't know if you found a solution to your problem yet, but let me share mine. Suspecting it was a harware issue, such as the microphone not in allignment with the mic hole, I took the bezel of my LCD screen by following the instructions in the service manual from Lenovo: Hardware Maintenance Manual

I discovered that the foam cover had been improperly applied at the factory and it was covering the mic hole on the chip.
Before Repair

I pulled it off carefully to preserve the glue and not tear the foam, and reapplied it in the correct position. Replaced the bezel and now I can Skype and record voice!

Repaired

What's DOS?
moopersoup

Re: E420s Microphone problem SOLUTION

Thank You ndoelling! I had the same problem with my mic and this fixed it. My mic worked originally and then stopped working, but it was the same problem. Thank You!