Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
stodulskim

E420s USB issue

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I already have posted an issue I had before with the previous machine which was thinkpad edge 320. It turned out that the motherboard was faulty and I got the machine replaced with E420s. I was very happy with the replaced machine until it the problem with the USB happened. I run the PC DOCTOR software supplied with the machine (System Health and DIagnostics) and it showed that everything is in fully working order. But the problem is when I insert the memory stick and it takes ages to load it up (literally about 5-8 minis to open up). Same with copying the files. During the process of copying the memory stick inserted stops responding and stays at this stage for couple of minutes, comes back to life for couple of seconds and stops responding again. This does not happen with this particular memory stick but any device that is connected to this port. It is not the charging one but the one right next to it. I tried everything by updating the USB port, disabling and enabling it back again and no positive result was achieved. Any advice? The product is under On-Site warranty so will I call for the assistance and maintenance staff or what to do. Thanks.

Punch Card
Fent

Re: E420s USB issue

Are you having the same issue with other usb mem sticks?  Have you tried your mem stick on another computer?  Answering these two questions should tell you if the fault is with your mem stick or your computer (or get you closer to an answer at least.)

Try this: Take a bright flashlight and look into the usb interface on your mem stick to see if you have any pocket lent stuck in there (very common and will cause the issues similar to what you are experiencing.)  Lent removal procedure: unbend a paper clip, stick one end in there and pick the lent out (don't scratch the metal contacts...in fact, a wooden tooth pick might be a better choice.)  Use canned air to blow out any remaining dust.

^Then see if that fixes you up.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
stodulskim

The issue happens with any memory stick. I plugged mine one into a friend's laptop and also I use it at school with PC and there is no problems. The other day I plugged in my father's memory key and it took ages till it opened up so there is definitely nothing wrong with my memory key. Thanks for suggestion anyway thou.

Punch Card
Fent

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  Do you have the latest firmware installed? (for your laptop main-board)

Since owning the computer, has it ever worked correctly?  If so, what has changed since then, if anything? (ie: hardware updates, software installs/updates...ect...anything you can think of)

How's your antivirus software?  Any other software related issues? (having problems running programs...ect..)

Does your computer have trouble operating any other USB devices? or just USB 'thumb drives' ?

Finally, when was the last time you ran ThinkVantage System Update?  (there have been some buggy drivers that have been updates in the past few months)

Ctrl-Alt-Del
stodulskim

Okey dokey, I will try to answere the questions in right order.

I own the laptop for the past four months and the BIOS, it that is the firmware for the motherfborad, has been updated to the latest one. It's always been working fine and stil is apart from the USB port that is 'LAGGY' if that could be the right term to use. Just to mention it doesn't happen constantly, sometimes it freezes and stops responding, sometimes seems to be just fine which is annoying. I plugged in the external hardrive (2TB) and it took a couple f seconds to load up as it is normal but I did it about 3 moths ago before the issue start appearing. I am using norton Internet Security and it is just fine, doen't slow down the machine or any. I keep running TV System Update at least once a month to keep all the drivers fresh.