Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
evigglad46

E420s fan speed

Hello in the community

I have just received my E420s and I have a problem with the fan speed.

it run 100% all the time non-stop.

There is only a short speed down after start and until I see the windows begins and then it speed up to 100% again and stay there.

I have updated to the newest firmware also there is not remarks in the control center about any error.

I have tried Speedfan,tpfan, CPUID for checking if something is wrong but the fan cannot be recognized.

I have seen there is some problems on the x220 does anyone have a good idea if this could be hardware error or is it just a matter of time before Lenovo make a new firmware update?

I hope that anyone out there have some good ideas to get the speed down :-)

What's DOS?
namor84

Betreff: E420s fan speed

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem... Same sympthoms! I tried the same things as you did. Doesn´t help... But I´m still trying.

Unfortunately my fan is always running at full speed - making it nearly impossible using it in a meeting, office or airplan.

Please let me know if you find a solution. Would be very thankful :-) Otherwise I will return it. :-/

Paper Tape
evigglad46

Hi

I have now had my E420s in for repairs and they have changed the motherboard and with no luck :-( fan is still spinning 100% with no indication of slowing down.

I have seen the E420s just with the i3 CPU sitting right next to mine and here the fan was ultra silent and hardly spinning at all.

Since mine have the i5 CPU could this be the reason for the high fan speed?

The temperatures in the CPU and chipset are at average level and the "hot" air coming out of the notebooks is actually becoming so cold that it can cool my coke can next to the fan exit....

I have upgrade the EUFI to latest level.. And still no changes...

I really hope that somebody out there have some good ideas :-)

Guru
ColonelONeill

Can you check your temperatures using HWmonitor to see if the temperatures are high? If the temperature sensor reading is high, but the exhaust air is cool, then it suggests poor thermal paste application/loose heatsink.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
evigglad46

Hi

I have now been trying some alternatives..

I have taken the model appart and applied more thermal past to the heat sinks.

this have help on the fan speed.

Now when I run on the battery the fan slow down.. but it is still running constantly. as soon I plug in the ac adapter do the fan speed up to 100% again.

My thought is this is related to the Intel chipset

that the i5 apparently generate to much heat for the system to keep cool as on an i3 system do the fan shot down completely even with AC adapter attached.

maybe Lenovo will come with a correction of the power management  because I cannot get the fan to speed down even with the lowest possible power consumption set in the Lenovo power tool.

Fan still run 100% when AC is in....

so for the moment I use my notebook runing on the battery and only charge when not in use.. this make it bareable so sit with in the sofa :-) 

but stay I will keep hoping for an update from Lenovo..

What's DOS?
thinkuser2

I have similar problem. The fan is only occasionally quiet as one would expect. Once it starts spinning at higher speed it doesn't slow down. The laptop is extremely cool comparing to my old one, but the noise from the fan is not bearable. I bought this laptop, because according to the varios articles in the internet it remains silent most of the time. I wanted quite laptop that I can use in a library.

I hope lenovo can improve the BIOS or whatsoever, so that we can get quiet machines.