Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
hpacheco

Re: E420s freezes without any reason

same for me...just random.

mostly happens when i am online or downloading.

hardware 4401-CTO

Paper Tape
hpacheco

yes, my think light keeps working as well

just updated the flash bios to the latest version, and back to freezing again.

i think it may be tied to either the synaptics or the fingerprint components.

What's DOS?
T420User

I just got a brand new T420 last week and set it up today. Have already had laptop freeze enough that I needed to google if others had similar problems. Laptop is running Windows 7 with McAfee. Have installed only MS Office Pro and iTunes. Definitely not acceptable for a new machine. Used to have a T410 work laptop and had same issue but thought it was because of corp image... Will reach out to cust service this week. 2.7 GHz Intel chip, 6GB DRAM, 500GB hard disk, NVIDIA graphics.

Fanfold Paper
koolcaz

Oooh yes I am one of those with another thread on the same problem. 2 months on......has it been fixed? NO!

I sent mine for warranty repair and it came back with the same problem?!? !

So currently they think it's a driver/HDD/imaging problem and are sending me a new set of discs to re-image the drive.

Paper Tape
hpacheco

have narrowed the issue down to only happening when downloading from the internet (whether email on outlook or large files), and usually coupled with when I am watching something on my VideoLAN player.

i now run the diagnostics alongside the downloads, to see if anything pops up when it crashes, and this last time noticed that the network activity dropped for about two seconds (completely) right before it crashed.

not sure if this helps anyone, but figured i would share the info for the experts to glean from.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Nice observation, hpacheco!

Which wireless card do you have?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Retired Employee
JameZ

@T420User,

Appreciate if you can create another thread for T420 as this is a different model.

@E420s owners,

If you have updated the drivers and BIOS via TVSU and Windows Update with SP1 then lets proceed to further troubleshooting.

- Remove and reseat the RAMs
- Remove 3rd party RAMs
- If you have 2 RAMs, try removing 1 of them and use 1 only and see if it hangs, then try the other RAM and test.
- Uninstall Synaptics driver and use Windows preload driver and see if it helps.
- If problem persist then try doing a factory restore.

If all above has been done and problem still persist, drop me a note and I will assist to arrange the laptop to be shipped into the US lab for engineering to look into the issue.

For customers out of US, kindly contact your local support.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
hpacheco

my computer build is the 4401CTO, and states Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250, and Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN

just observed the same error again, with the network graph on the resource meter going to zero for about 3-5 seconds before it froze.

hope this info helps.

What's DOS?
regan

Thought I would add some comments as I bought this laptop (E420s) about 4 weeks ago and experienced this problem.  For no apparent reason the laptop just freezes, whether I’m working on it or its sitting idle sometimes it takes a couple of hours before it freezes and sometimes it’s about 10 minutes - very annoying.

Nothing would work but the screen would stay on. Lenovo told me it was a software problem, because I had formatted the HDD on delivery and put my own copy of windows on it. This was absolute tosh in my opinion and I was not willing to send it back or re-install to factory default. Looking at the comments on here and my suspicions I thought the CPU might be overheating and as the screen does not go blank I ran performance monitor and a CPU temp monitor to catch as much data as I could before it froze. CPU, and everything else was fine - no temp problems at all, no memory issues for activity spikes of any kind - but it still froze.

Next up I ran the Lenovo diagnostics - nothing, the result was that I had a perfect system. Lenovo advice was to send it back to them, but i did not want my laptop being held by Lenovo whist they diagnosed this problem - I might never see it again or as someone else has mentioned it comes back with exactly the same problem. So I started turning hardware on and off and prepared myself to go through a massive trial and error test. The first thing I did was disable to the wireless network....laptop did not freeze overnight. Put it back on the next day, laptop froze again. Explained that to Lenovo, they sent me a new wireless card and I fitted it myself. Laptop has not frozen since...

There was absolutely no evidence to suggest that the WLAN card was faulty and I hope this helps people with the E420s and solves your freezing problems and save’s you some time.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hmmm ... Interesting... replacing the WLAN card solved the issue? However, appreciate you taking the time to share this regan.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3