Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Napolei

Re: E420s switchable graphics with opengl

This fixes the graphical glitches in starcraft and installs the newest drivers for the 6630M (I think they are the newest). So there might also be other thinfgs it fixes. The link I posted basically explains how to install new drivers that won't be able to be installed trough the installer because it will always say that no compatible hardware was found.

It does however not solve my initial problem with the switching, as this only affects performance when the computer has already switched to the 6630M and it will then use the newer drivers. So far every directx based game has worked just fine for me with these drivers.

But if anyone finds a method to change the switchable graphics to be used for opengl, I'm interested in any official/unofficial method xD

Punch Card
Anno

Yeah, I already knew about the thing that was posted in the Starcraft 2 forum. It is just a way of updating drivers on Switchable graphics Laptops without watin for the laptop manufaturer to update the drivers). That's not the problem we have.

The problem is that we can't play OpenGL games (Minecraft, Brink and others) and programs with the AMD 6630M graphics card. It always defaults to the Intel 3000 (not as good) even though in the settings it is switched to high performance (6630M). Every other DirectX game and program works fine but not OpenGL....

HP released a BIOS update for one of their laptops so you could choose between the discreate and intergrated GPU for everything.

And I think Dell may have released some sort of update to fix the problem in the Vostro 3350... which has the same graphics card and processor as the E420/E420s/E520/E520s.

I would also be very interested in an official/unofficial fix for this...

Punch Card
Anno

I'm pretty sure it's a diriver/software issue not a hardware issue.

Punch Card
Anno

Has anyone tried emailing or calling Lenovo and/or AMD?

Punch Card
Anno

HP released a BIOS update for their laptops that adds a 'fixed' mode" as opposed to the dynamic mode we have.

Look Here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Official-HP-statement-on-Switchable-Graphics...

Retired Employee
JameZ

Sorry for being late to the party guys ...

Alright... Just a summary of what I've read from these 2 pages.

DirectX games works fine however OpenGL games does not.

List of games not working properly.

1. Far Cry
2. Doom
3. Fallout
4. Mafia
5. Minecraft
6. Brink

I understand that full performance mode has been set in the switchable menu however problem still persist.

What if you run the games above, is there any error shown when running the game? or just that the game does not launch?

I assume everyone's system is at it's latest?
BIOS version 1.17
AMD: 8.811.1.5000
Intel: 8.15.10.2342
Power Manager: 3.62
Power Management driver: 1.62

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
Anno

The problem is that the game can only access the Intel 3000 GPU instead of the AMD Raedon HD 6630M GPU which is much better. Some games will run on very low settings with the Intel 3000 so there will be no error message. But other games require better graphics and will probably show some sort of error that the Intel 3000 is not supported. This also effects any game or program that uses OpenGL.

Paper Tape
cobot

[ Edited ]

There is a problem with every OpenGL aplication even profesional aplication like CAD. I personaly didn't try any profesional aplication but I think this could be more important problem for Lenovo than some "stupid games" Thinpad Edge with AMD graphics doesn't see any of this aplication and run it only on intel HD.

I tryed Doom 3 and Mafia. It runs only on intel HD. There is no option to run it on AMD. Mafia runs only about 40 FPS and Doom 3 about 25 FPS.

Far Cry, Fallout 3 runs on AMD. I have only problem with runnig them corectly. Fallout 3 shows only black screen. I didn"t get to the game menu. Far Cry shuted down during loading a level. Maybe there is some solution. I didn"t try everithing. But there is no problem on my PC with same system (windows 7 64b). But this two gemes IS NOT a problem Opengl on AMD IS the problem.

I have of course every latest driver and aplication from Lenovo.

Punch Card
Anno

So is there gonna be a driver update or an update to the BIOS to add a 'fixed' switchable graphics option (it makes everything use the AMD or Intel, no choosing applications to be high performance)???

Retired Employee
JameZ

Thanks for the feedback guys... The only system I have here is the T400 with switchable graphics and there is an option if you were to do a "right click" on the battery bar then you can choose if you want to use high performance graphics or energy saving graphics card. Can you try that and see if you have the option?

Also could you try downloading FurMark and do a video stress test on OpenGL and see if you have any error or will it just run Intel only? I am worried that engineering side does not have such games to test it on.

Thanks guys
James

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3