Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
paralityk

Re: E420s switchable graphics with opengl

There's nothing to assist, sc2 works, just use default lenovo drivers, update them with one of beforementioned drivers (11.9RC/11.8) then run sc2, close it, set it for high performance in Catalyst Control Center and that's it, also you can check that under "power play" tab in CCC gpu is set for maximum performance which it is by default.

(to navigate more easily switch view to advanced.

Punch Card
Anno

What happened to that Lenovo rep? He hasn't said anything in a while...

Maybe Lenovo think it will be too hard to fix so they won't do it.

Punch Card
Enewald

I bought the Thinkpad E520 with the switchable graphics, instead of a laptop with just the Intel HD Graphics 3000, because I needed a more powerful graphics solution for 3ds max, but as it is, I cannot use the program at all. With the integrated graphics there are some serious rendering issues of viewports, as the location of the mouse pointer is detected falsely (graphics output is misaligned) i.e. to be able to grab vertices, I have to click not on them, but some distance on their right. (It's the same with buttons in flash videos.)

As I cannot return the laptop anymore, because I have started the machine and installed software on it, I hope that you would fix this as soon as possible.

Fanfold Paper
unswitchable

Hello all

I to bought this machine for business applications, and am having a very unpleasant time trying to switch between graphics hardware to run intensive Open GL software. Especially when using it meetings and presentations. Have had the standard reply from support that don't help.

It is an issue that will defiantly reduce the sales of the Lenovo  E and T series notebooks. People should not have to use unofficial software or "go looking" for applications online to make a new unit run properly. When a majority of customers machines run hardware from AMD and Intel, lenovo's software engineers should be able to sort this out.

HP and Dell have done it , why not Lenovo??  Is this supposed to be a quality Lenovo business orientated machine, or another under tested, "doesn't do what's claimed" notebook.

Sorry about the rant, I'm a very peed off....

Paper Tape
Ilythiiri

Lenovo, are you there ? What are you doing ? Any answer ??

Fanfold Paper
geogre

i have just written to the lenovo representative who wrote here some time ago and i hope one day we will at least get an answer.

i'll copy the pm here:

-----------------------------------------------------------

hello,

please, are you still following this thread?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/E420s-switchable-graphics-with-opengl/td-p/522927

please, there are a lot people that need serious help. this is not only about the E420 (also E520) and not only about some old games (i am using professional CAD and visualisation software that doesn't work!!!) and not only about openGL.

the switchable graphics just don't work properly and there is no answer and no help from lenovo.

i will have to return my laptop to the dealer soon because i have to work with it, and right now with the non-working switchable driver it just is a big waste of money.

so PLEASE answer to this thread and tell the people if this problem is going to be fixed or NOT, because so the people won't have to waste anymore time and energy on trying to get the switchable graphics running and they can just warn other people not to buy these laptops and go and get something that works.

please, we all really appreciate an answer (and best of course an answer like 'this is going to be fixed next week).

thanks - best regards,

geogre

Punch Card
not4us

iI'm with youguys on this.

I've been wanting to put Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) on my E420 with a dedicated Radeon 6630M but mux-less cards like this don't work on Linux.

Why couldn't Lenovo offer a BIOS settign that will leave the card permanently on like P has done for its DV6's laptops???

I understand it would increase power usage but the user should be abel to decided wether they want power or battery life.

And also agree, the implemenatation on the Windows driver is a hit and miss affair that shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Wake up Lenovo!

Paper Tape
Ilythiiri

[ Edited ]

Lenovo wake up! We need new drivers!

Dell done it.

HP done it.

WHAT THE ... IS LENOVO DOING?!

Some answer ? A lot of people have this problem... 

Paper Tape
Clone1B

Hi

I'm having the same problem with my recently purchased E520. Could the engineers please hurry up with an update that fixes openGL as everything I want to use it for (minecraft) uses it.

You can get it working in linux but I really.. really don't want to have to install that.

Thanks

Token Ring
paralityk

"You can get it working in linux but I really.. really don't want to have to install that."

Well, you can't, there's hardly any support for linux with switchable graphics let alone muxless ones.