Punch Card
BMcGillivray

Re: E420s switchable graphics with opengl

This is really exciting news!

Serial Port
AntraX

[ Edited ]

I hope it will be soon, on my E320 even directx games doesn't work (radeon works only in windows index test). Flash and win runs on hd6630m (know thx gpu-z), but gmes runs only on gma (no stress on radeon).

802.11n
link626

[ Edited ]

I have an AMD A6 cpu with switchable graphics radeon HD6650m.

Blame AMD for this opengl disaster. AMD sucks !

Everything AMD is either slow or broken.

For example, hybrid crossfire does not work in directx9, and when it does work in directx10/11, there is minimal performance gain. ....... and now this opengl crap.

Even with both AMD cpu and gpu, it can't run openGL on the dedicated graphics card.

Don't hold your breath for a fix any time soon.

If AMD can't fix it, no one can.

Basically, if AMD does not release working drivers, all the OEM's can't fix the problem either.

What sucks even more is that we consumers can't directly contact AMD to have them fix this crap either.

AMD just handed over broken software to all the OEM's using radeon cards.

I am buying nvidia laptop next time. Screw AMD.

[ Edited ]

"If AMD can't fix it, no one can."

They can, it's just that too few people are really affected by this issue (we're like 1-3%?) so it's not that important for them.

There is a workaround however, you can (I have no idea how it is even possible considering muxless design, but Dell did it) make it that GPUs are hard switched just like in previous px (powerexpress) version and that's probably what we're waiting for. This update should contain a new BIOS + new(or rather updated) PX driver.

When AMD released PX4.0 (called BACON) they stated that currently OpenGL is not supported but they will update PX driver to support it, though it'll be up to manufacturers to further distribute this driver.

Question is (and it's probably confidential) wheter AMD ever released such driver? (even beta/alpha)

If they did, which I doubt, the update should be even easier, just updating PX driver and for lenovo just testing this new version from AMD.

Punch Card
Anno

AMD either need to fix the problem and then tell Lenovo so they can add it to the Thinkpad Edge drivers.

OR

Lenovo need to add and option to have fixed graphics (either AMD Raedon or Intel at a time, no application choosing) that you can change to in the BIOS.

Token Ring
paralityk

[ Edited ]

"Lenovo need to add and option to have fixed graphics (either AMD Raedon or Intel at a time, no application choosing) that you can change to in the BIOS."

This won't do, I bought a laptop with dynamic switchable graphics, I don't care how he does it but it has to be done without restarting.

And as I said (again) Dell did this, they released a fix which enables use of the "old" switching method, not per app but per power source/on demand

Punch Card
Anno

[ Edited ]

no no no, I might have worded that wrong... :smileyhappy:

Going into the BIOS to change to 'fixed graphics' is a one time thing.

After that you could get a button somewhere to switch between AMD and Intel (or switch via power source).

Token Ring
paralityk

Oh, sorry, seems like I misunderstood what you wrote... So we're on the same page :smileywink:

802.11n
link626

[ Edited ]

"They can, it's just that too few people are really affected by this issue (we're like 1-3%?) so it's not that important for them."

AMD: "meh. opengl is not important. so screw those few who need it".

there is no excuse for what they have done.

no openGL support = halfassed product. I don't care how few people use it. and it's not just the 1% here on this forum.

Everyone who plays new opengl games is affected. so that makes 50%+

AMD is basically showing they are incompetent by releasing gimped hardware and software.

Their actions also state- "we don't care about success. If you want a fully functioning graphics card, go buy nvidia."

What's so special about opengl that they can't get it to switch over to dedicated graphics anyway...

Last I read, nvidia switchable graphics could handle opengl.

I wonder if macbook pros with radeon can switch to opengl

I fully agree with you.

"I wonder if macbook pros with radeon can switch to opengl"

I'm pretty sure they can, if they wouldn't what's the point? There's no DirectX on Mac OS X :smileywink: