Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
geogre

not only opengl

it is good to hear that "jamez" finally returned and said that the issue "has been escalated to development to fix"...

but i still have to remember, this has not only to do with opengl! i need the laptop for work with 3ds max (and others) and they can also run on directx and this ###### does NOT switch to the radeon even if in directx.

i would desperately want to know how long this is going to take... months is not ok for me, because i really need this working or i have to get something else that works. by the way, i have already been waiting for months now.

do i understand you right... the solution that has been made for hp-laptops... do you have to turn on the radeon in the bios and then it's on forever, causing the laptop to be warm and loud even if not needed? so i would have to decide every time i turn on the machine if i want to use the radeon or not and select it in the bios? that would absolutely NOT be a solution for me. if it turns out that this is what is going to be the "fix" (if at all) - it wouldn't work for me.

this is my first lenovo, i heard some good things about them, but i'm quite disappointed :smileysad:  i think lenovo laptops may be good when you pay at least twice as for an "edge" and maybe they care a bit more if the "business"-machines work or not.

my last bit of hope is rapidly fading

802.11n
link626

Re: not only opengl

@george

i would desperately want to know how long this is going to take... months is not ok for me, because i really need this working or i have to get something else that works. by the way, i have already been waiting for months now.

For you, i'd recommend switching to an intel+nvidia setup.

That's what I would do if i had mission critical stuff to do.

AMD is notorious for taking it slowly or leaving things in a broken state.

Re: E420s switchable graphics with opengl

New game, RAGE is OpenGL based......

Fanfold Paper
cHeatoN

Hello,

So how is it going with the fix? I just got my E520 with i5 etc. and I can't even run Counter Strike 1.6 smoothly which my desktop pc c2d with 8500GT graphics does.  So sad  :/

Punch Card
giewuer

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem on my E520. I'm very disappointed with the fact that it isn't possible to use OpenGL with AMD on this laptop. DirectX works fine but OpenGL does not! I just found about it trying to play Rage (it wouldn't start at all because of OpenGL errors) but I also had very low FPS playing Minecraft. I really hope Lenovo will treat this problem seriously and fix it because at the moment I feel live I've been cheated.

Not being able to use OpenGL with decent performance is a very serious flaw and until it's fixed I'll try to comment under reviews of these laptops over the internet so people will be more careful than me with buying them.

Fanfold Paper
Recursion

[ Edited ]

I saw that there's a new BIOS version for the E420s which is labelled as v1.20 and was released on 27th September. I have installed it but I can't notice any difference in terms of OpenGL performance. Although the CTRL and FN swap feature in the BIOS is a welcome addition.

You can view the changelog here: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8juj07us.txt

"- Enable Discrete Graphics mode to support Open GL (new AMD graphics driver is required)."

Token Ring
paralityk

That's it :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy: Now another bios update for e420/e520 + new drivers. Btw. Isn't it possible to release the same AMD driver for s and non-s versions? I don't think there are any major differences so it would be easier for you to provide constant, better, equal support, right?

Fanfold Paper
cHeatoN

Lenovo already fixed this problem on Ideapad G770 because there's a new gpu driver, but this driver doesn't work for e520 & e420 :/

Fanfold Paper
Recursion

[ Edited ]

By saying "That's it" I assume you mean that's the fix in the BIOS and now we just need to wait for the appropriate driver? :smileytongue:

Maybe I'll finally be able to play Minecraft on the go properly :smileytongue:

Token Ring
paralityk

Yep that's what I meant.

I think you should be able to get it working now, probably all you need to do is enable that option in bios, and try to somehow install the g770 driver (or maybe it'll work with current driver anyway?) it won't install as is, so you'd probably need to add your device id in .inf file.