Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
ForJA

Re: i totally agree. having to shutdown, switch on again, go...

I just bought an Thinkpad E520...God how I regret this now after I have read about this problem all over the Internet. Even though I didn't received it (later today), I am still disappointed. 

I play lightly on my laptop, but my games are: Counter Strike 1.6 (OpenGl) HoN, League of Legends, All Penumbra titles, Quake Live and Quake 3, Minecraft...

I think I will return it ASAP if I have this kind of problem and buy something else. (Like an Acer)

And for AMD...because of my rage:smileymad:, I will sell my PC based on your processor (Phenom II 965) It is not funny anymore...

Token Ring
paralityk

[ Edited ]

"Success comes through rapidly fixing our mistakes rather than getting things right the first time."

Remember this is not the only issue with Edges. E320/E420/E520:

1. Brightness regulation is not linear (SIC!) from brightness level 15 to 2 brightness is lowered , from 2 to 0 it increases! (Newer Intel drivers solve it but then there's no switching)

2. Hibernation doesn't work, you have 50/50 chance of resuming (prolonged suspend seems to decrase your chance of luck) and even if you success, after 15 minutes USB Host/-s creates BSOD

3. Long period of sleep (the kind of period when it would start hibernating, but you've disabled it because hibernation doesn't work) - won't resume (to be specific it seems like display is not initialized, no, closing and opening again the lid doesn't solve the problem)

4. Bluetooth likes not enabling itself with provided drivers, default ones (installed by windows) it's all fine

Won't start about crappy ThinkVantage software, plenty of bugs, thank GOD I don't need it.

Paper Tape
wilis

topic

1. These problems shouldn't be discussed in this thread
2. I heard about these problems, anyway I never felt uncomfortable with brightness regulation because I often use levels 0 and 1 and I don't have to search these levels in higher numbers. I even thought it was supposed to work this way :smileyhappy:
3. Hibernation should be software problem. I never had problems with that. But I'm not using default windows installation. I prefer clean install of win + only few needed lenovo thinkpad apps. I just wanted to say we shouldn't blaim lenovo.
4. I'm experiencing other problems like massive contrast when switching from black to white or not working power on "yellow, powered USB"

Fanfold Paper
Recursion

Re: topic

Have you guys with those problems updated BIOS + Drivers? I've not experienced any of them on my E420s.
Blue Screen Again
ForJA

No they haven't, have you installed some updates? How can it be fixed if they didn't provide any new updates?

It is sad...I play Half Life 2 at maxed details with ~100FPS but I can't play Minecraft, Counter Strike 1.6, Quake... I don't even want to try Photoshop, a program that I'll need so bad in the future...

I have 9 days left to change my mind, I hope Lenovo fix this in time, before I return my laptop...(It is sad cuz I really like it)

Fanfold Paper
zerow3

wilis wrote:

1. These problems shouldn't be discussed in this thread
2. I heard about these problems, anyway I never felt uncomfortable with brightness regulation because I often use levels 0 and 1 and I don't have to search these levels in higher numbers. I even thought it was supposed to work this way :smileyhappy:
3. Hibernation should be software problem. I never had problems with that. But I'm not using default windows installation. I prefer clean install of win + only few needed lenovo thinkpad apps. I just wanted to say we shouldn't blaim lenovo.
4. I'm experiencing other problems like massive contrast when switching from black to white or not working power on "yellow, powered USB"

Hi Wilis

For your yellow USB problem, have you change the setting? Because I thought I had problem with the yellow USB as well, but actually, by default, the yellow USB only works for sleep and hibernation. If you had the default setting and try to use it when it is off, then it is actually working perfectly fine. You can change the setting in Power manager. Hopes this helps.

802.11n
link626

[ Edited ]

geogre wrote:

i totally agree. having to shutdown, switch on again, go to bios to change the graphics adapter and reboot, depending on the program i want to use is not really an option. and most of the times i use different programs at the same time.

@antrax: sorry for forgetting the e320, i only knew the 420 and 520 :smileywink:

If you think about it, it should be an easy software fix.

why the hell can't AMD detect openGL and throw it on the discrete graphics card....

that would eliminate this bios crap.

After contacting AMD about this issue, this is the response I received-

We understand the issue is (intel hd3000 or amd 6520g), when running openGL apps, switchable graphics will not switch over to the more powerful 6650m dedicated graphics card on the laptop /notebook; if we have missed any critical information about the issue, please let us know as the suggestions may change.

A listing for both an ATI Mobility Radeon and an Intel graphics adapter chipset means the notebook /notebook utilizes either in the switchable graphics which is exclusively controlled by the software and hardware from the laptop /notebook manufacturer.

Sorry we have no information on the above, nor do we have any configurations, test, settings, etc.

Please contact the laptop /notebook manufacturer for all your support needs on this customized option, the settings, the configurations, etc. and any related software.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Basically, AMD is taking no responsibility for their crap, and is telling the customer to screw off.

AMD is stonewalling.

Thanks for reply. There is no problem with not updated software or settings. I have it partially working and I even set other USBs to work like powered one. I use it for my external HD and when I plug it into yellow USB it just switches hard disk on and off (- seems like not enough voltage). Other USBs works perfectly so just this yellow USB is different.
So yea.. It will be drivers’ problem (that means my problem)

I think what we users really need is fix for manual switching graphics. If it will be switchable only in Bios it’s totally fine for me. 

Fanfold Paper
foraid

yes I just need manual switchable graphic in bios, I want to set only  "AMD Radeon", because of the integrated graphic I cant play Rage, Metro 2033, these games only detect integrated chip and cant run the game. I cant install original AMD driver, so I have old version from Lenovo and cant do anything to solve problem....

I think this is embarassing for company as big as lenovo to fix this problem for 4 months.

Token Ring
paralityk

Sorry, I'm not with you on this one, although I would like to see a "hard" switch in BIOS I can't take it as a final solution, I'm waiting for what I paid for, a notebook with switchable graphics, if it doesn't switch then it doesn't work as advertised - simple as that.