Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Boardingnath

E520 Dead

Hi all, I've had a new e520 for 3 months, and today it wouldn't switch on at all. No lights, sounds or signs of power. Have confirmed that the power point I was using is fine. Is this a motherboard issue? Seems very weird. Thanks in advance
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,251
Solutions: 1,341

Re: E520 Dead

Did you have a bios update before this problem occurred?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
Boardingnath

No. Was using fine about 12 hours earlier.
lead_org

in which case you should call Lenovo warranty service on 131426 press option 1 and then 3.
Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
Stealthsz

dont even worry about it. just call lenovo warranty and send it in to lenovo they will pay for your shipping.

lead_org

lenovo warranty will arranage DHL to pick up the laptop and drop off the laptop once the repair is done. The turnaround time for depot repair is 4 days, if there are no parts shortage.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
Boardingnath

So just an update if anyone is interested. The system board is dead, so they've had to order a new part in. Have to say that the customer service has been horrendous. They have had my laptop for 21 days now, and are unable to give me an ETA on part arriving. No calls or emails to update me on the situation, and calling them takes 20 minutes of waiting on the phone. I thought I was making the right call on buying a Lenovo, but I was very very wrong!

lead_org

do you have the call reference number handy?
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
Muks_c

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I bought an E520 in January 2012, but only 3 weeks after receiving it, while it was charging, i dropped it right on the charging jack. it cracked the housing of the charge port on the laptop, but the socket on the charger was fine, and the laptop remained on and had no problems at all. it still charged and worked fine, the only issue was that the charge socket didn't click into the laptop anymore, but while it was in it continued to charge,

after about 4 weeks of problem-free use, during use it just instantly shut down. i turned it back on again and it stayed on until it had loaded to desktop, but then it instantly shut off again.

i plugged the charger in and the green LED came on to indicate it was charging, but it would not switch on again.

a couple of hours later, i tried again, but it did not turn on. and now the charging LED would not come on either.

i suspected that because i dropped it, something had become loose inside, and it took 4 weeks of use for it to finally break.

because i dropped it, i figured i could not contact Lenovo for diagnosis or repair under warranty, so i took it to a local computer/laptop repair shop. it took them 2 weeks but they managed to source and replace the dc jack module in the laptop, but it still does not switch on. they think it might be the motherboard and are going to try to source a replacement for me.

having just researched that people are having instant failures of the mainboard in their laptops of the same model, am i still entitled to the warranty conditions from Lenovo? or has the warranty been voided because it has been opened and repaired? the guys in the repair shop say that if i send it back to Lenovo, they will see it has been soldered, so may not honour the warranty. but it's in their interest for me to let them fix it rather than send it back, so they are likely to try to persuade me to leave it with them to fix.

maybe it was always destined to fail in this manner, even if i hadn't dropped it?

i'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

lead_org

it is hard to say what may have caused the issue you are having. Most likely the warranty depot would void your warranty on the condition that unauthorised repair has been carried out.

But you should really contact the warranty department and see what they have to say about this.
Regards,

Jin Li