Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Gregi

Re: E520 Fan sometimes not working after switchable-graphic- issue-BIOS-Update

[ Edited ]

bss wrote:

I still have 1.19 bios version. Do you suggest I update to the newest? Does anyone know if it resolves this issue?

Regards!

I suggest You upgrade BIOS regardless, but I confirm it doesn't help in this particular matter. It has strict connection with that muxless graphics drivers.

On my E420 I noticed that when I use integrated graphics fan doesn't work and system gets dangerously hot. Then I switch to dedicated graphics I it works fine and system comes back to normal. When I go back to integrated, the story starts over.

When I switch to the other method of switching graphics (automatic choice by the system basing on app demand) the cooling system works fine, but not the changing of graphics, so either way it's no good.

bss
Paper Tape
bss

It looks just as though that the temprature sensor is for controling the fan is powered by (or in some kind of connection to) the discrete graphics card. And when you turn it off the temperature readings are incorrect and the fan does not respond. But it's strange. When I enabled only the integrated graphics in bios, then it worked ok. It has to be something with the drivers, but I'm not sure who is responsible, Lenovo or ATI, or both :smileyhappy:.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

So if you were to change to Integrated GPU only in BIOS, the fan would not work then if changing it to discrete GPU then it works fine? Is this changing it in BIOS or via the a control panel in Windows?

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
Gregi

JameZ wrote:
@All,

So if you were to change to Integrated GPU only in BIOS, the fan would not work then if changing it to discrete GPU then it works fine? Is this changing it in BIOS or via the a control panel in Windows?

//JameZ

Read what I and bss wrote and You will have the answer :smileyhappy:  It seems the problem is when You switch to integrated via Catalyst control panel. 

Punch Card
Benik3

When you change graphic manualy to integrated via control panel, then fan doesn´t work.

When you change graphic to integrated via bios, fan work OK...

Retired Employee
JameZ

@Gregi,

I do not have a newer EDGE systems here thus I don't know how the interface looks like =(

@Benik3,

Thanks for the response. When changing the GPU manually via the Catalyst panel to Integrated. The BIOS setting in GPU is set to auto right?

Lets get a case going with engineering.

Appreciate if yourself or Gregi could send me the following information for me to log a case.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM:
S/N:
Type of discrete GPU:

64bit:
SP1:
Power Manager:
Power Management Driver:
Video driver version:
Catalyst version:

Ensure that the drivers are official Lenovo drivers and are not from OEMs.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Issue has been escalated to engineering using Gregi's information.

//JameZ

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Engineering was unable to replicate the problem. Appreciate if you can post the following info.

1. How do you change from Discrete to Integrated GPU in Catalyst
2. Power Profile used in Power Manager
3. Warm up, any temp reading? Core temp would be good
4. What tool do you use to read the core temp.

Do provide me as much info as possible, screenshot of catalyst, screenshot of fan speed, screenshot of core temp before and after. the more screenshot the better~!

Thanks all.

Sorry I do not have a E520 else I would have done it and send it to them ...

//JameZ

Punch Card
Gregi

@JameZ, I have prepared .pdf file with the issue description but I don't know how to send it to You.
Regards
Punch Card
Gregi

[ Edited ]