Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Gregi

Re: E520 Fan sometimes not working after switchable-graphic- issue-BIOS-Update

There is something more I've noticed about cooling system working on manually switched integrated graphics.

When I restart system having this kind of graphics switched on, the fan after restart still works at constant, moderate speed, doesn't stop and throttle up. All the time keeps working and it is not necessary, because the system is cool. And then when I switch to discrete, it stops, and then sometimes starts for a second or if needed for longer, which is desired, proper work of the fan. When I go back to integrated, without restarting, then the situation desribed earlier takes place - no work of the fan at all. So, to sum up:  cooling system on integrated graphics switch on manually works wrong - either still or not at all.

Punch Card
Benik3

Yes, we know that fan with integrated graphic work wrong and with discrete OK when you switch tha graphics manualy. Read the topic.
Punch Card
Gregi

[ Edited ]

Benik3 wrote:
Yes, we know that fan with integrated graphic work wrong and with discrete OK when you switch tha graphics manualy. Read the topic.

Hello, I have been writing in this topic for some time and I exactly know the problem.Maybe You read the topic.

I just want to make sure that Lenovo staff have the most info I can provide so I add everything I notice and make sure Lenovo doesn't question the issue.

Punch Card
Benik3

[ Edited ]

OK sorry.

Also when you switch to integrated graphic and fan work on full, then the fan still run on full speed...

Problem is, that this look on problem of AMD not Lenovo :/

What's DOS?
vahokif

Hi, I have the same problem using vga_switcheroo on Linux.

bss
Paper Tape
bss

Me too! But i have experienced this oon both linux and windows. I hope this issue gets resolved quickly, because it limits your work. Even if the issue is AMD/ATI's fault I think lenovo sould take care of fixing or reporting to ATI in order to get this fixed ASAP!

Blue Screen Again
robertverdes

Hello all. I'd like to jump into the discussion and confirm this problem exists on my newly purchased e420 as well.

The issue has been explianed pretty well so far, so I'm going to keep it short:

The issue arises with the "Select the graphics processor manually or based on power source" option selected, when the integrated GPU is active (either the laptop's on battery or the the GPU is manually selected while plugged in).

FAN SPEED DOES NOT CHANGE.

• 1) So after booting up windows, it will hang on the lowest spin rate.
    -- If I don't touch anything, processor temp can go as low as in the 30s degrees C.
    -- If I stress the CPU (used Prime95), it gets as high as 80C, before I turn off stress-testing to avoid damage. No fan speed change.
  • 2) If I manually switch to Dedicated GPU:
    -- If CPU temp is low (<50's or so), the fans stops
    -- If CPU temp is high, for example imediately after stressing with Prime95, the fans boost up to cool the system. 
    In other words, on ATI GPU, fans work as expected
  • 3) If I manually switch to Dedicated GPU when temp is high to let the fans boost, and then imediately switch back to Integrated GPU, the fans remain "boosted" and never *chillax* :smileytongue:

I have the latest drivers and latest bios.

Well that wasn't quite short, but I hope it's useful. Hope the issue is resolved as quick as possible. 

Blue Screen Again
robertverdes

Still no word about a fix? It's been a while... 

I'd really like to use the "select graphics processor based on power source" feature. I'm often connected to an 1080 external display and plugged in, so it could use a bit of help from the dedicated card. But if i leave thisd feature on, I'm afraid I'll forget to switch before unplugging for battery use (the moment when the integrated one kicks in and the fans stop working properly) -- and this can easily damage the laptop!

Any progress? Cleo, are you still tracking this issue in James' place? Some feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Punch Card
Gregi

[ Edited ]

I would like this issue to be solved as well, but what can we do ??  It seems nobody from manufacturer side cares about this anymore so I've lost any hope some time ago...

Blue Screen Again
robertverdes

Losing hope is not an option. It's just a minor bug in the code somewhere, and as far as I understand it wasn't there from the beginning, so FIXING it should be just a matter of comparing what's changed, and see what breaks the fans on the "power source" option.

Also, if you stress the CPU with the dedicated graphics selected, so that you get the fans running at full speed -- and then quickly do a manual switch to the Integrated graphics (where the problem lies) -- doing so will LOCK the fan-speed at _that full speed_ at which you brought them with the dedicated graphics! So now you can say you have a -cooling issue- instead of a -heating issue-

This insight alone should be enough to pin the problem. The real issue seems to be the lack of communication.