Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
hiteng

E520 - bizzare wireless connection problem

Hi - this is my first posting so apologies if something similar has been posted here.

I bought a new thinkpad E520 a week ago. Everything is in good working order. When I connect to the internet (wired) I get a very good internet speed as expected (100 Mbps). I connect it wirelessly and the internet speed goes down to about 54 Mbps - again this is expected and acceptable. Now this happens only if I am connected wirelessly right beside the router.

When I move my laptop to the next room or elsewhere, the internet speed either drops to 1 Mbps or is totally lost.

I have a few other laptops at home + android phone + tablet etc all of which connect and perform very well anywhere round the house.  This leads me to believe there is something specific to the E520 that needs looking at.

As this is a new laptop, I have been on the phone a number of times today to Lenovo tech support. They have reinstalled several drivers but the problem is persistent. The engineer seems to think there is something wrong with my router but I disagree as all my other devices are working fine and I have very good internet reception throughout the house.

I was discussing the possibility that the wireless antenna on the laptop may be faulty or a driver needs updating but again nothing seemed to work. 

Has anyone experienced this or could you provide any pointers. I do know that earlier this evening the engineer was downloading some of the latest drivers from the lenovo site.

I need to follow up with them as this is a new laptop with nothing on it (yet!) so I'm stuck as I really thing this is a laptop issue and not my router.

Thanks in advance.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

Re: E520 - bizzare wireless connection problem

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/U400-Slow-WiFi/td-p/658015

Hi hiteng and welcome to the community,

Try the steps mentioned here, (I didn't feel like typing it all over again), and see if it makes any difference.

It could be an antenna issue, maybe one of the connectors isn't connected properly to the card.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
Patbarkeroo

Hi, has this been resolved as i am having the same problem?

Punch Card
cbabes

Any solution to this problem?

My wireless will only work when I am within 10 ft. of the wireless router.If I move 20-30 ft to the next room it drops the internet connection?? It still shows that it is connected to the router (or trying to connect) with a strong signal strength. I have another laptop that connects to the router with no problems. So I have concluded that there must be an issue with my Lenovo z470.

I have tried some of the trouble shooting, changing power output, changing router settings (wep/wpa), updated all drivers etc. but nothing is working. Up to a week ago everything was working great for 5-6 months with this new laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Punch Card
cbabes

Re: E520/z470 - bizzare wireless connection problem

I think I may have figured it out. After trying just about everything, I finally figured it has to be the wireless ant. So I popped the bottom off and found a small wire right next to the wireless card  that appeared to be not connected to anything. Figured that can't be right. it's a small wire with a small attachment right next to the wireless card. the pieces  matched to I replugged it and as of right now I'm connecting to my wireless connection.

Something simple took 3 mins. It's worth trying (wish i haven't wasted hours with the other possible solutions).

Hope this helps.

z470 and T61 Owner

Cheers,

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

Re: E520/z470 - bizzare wireless connection problem

Hi cbabes,

Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out.

Thanks for posting back with your solution.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Blue Screen Again
SilverMecer

Hi

I had the same problem. Open the back cover and make sure the connectors to the mini half card is connected correctly to the connectors.

We had poor connections from the antenna wire to the connectors. We rewired and the signal strenght returned to normal.