Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
fmcsimmons

E520 display blank between "starting windows" and logon screen

Hi all,

A strange thing I have noticed is the following. When booting Windows 7 x64 on my e520, right after the "Starting Windows" screen (glowing windows flag) my screen goes blank for 5-15 seconds typically. It is not a black screen but as if the screen is off. After 10-20 seconds the logon screen appears as normal and everything works normally. Note that this does not happen every time I boot... sometimes it is off for a quick moment and the logon screen appears. This is how other laptops I own and have worked on boot with Windows 7. 

This is a clean install of Windows using the latest drivers and BIOS available on the Lenovo website. I have tried using the latest graphics driver from Intel's website and the same thing happens. Disabling all non microsoft services and startup programs (a clean boot) does not resolve the issue.

Unintalling the graphics card driver in device manager or booting into safemode solves this so it seems likely to me that it is a video driver issue.

Now I do not know if this is happening to other people with E520s but it doesn't happen on any of my other laptops, Lenovo or not. To clarify, the boot process goes like this for me..

1. POST Screen
  2. "Starting Windows" screen with glowing windows flag
  3. Screen goes off for 5-15 seconds
  4. logon screen appears

This is a Think e520 without switchable graphics so that is not applicable. 

Punch Card
fmcsimmons

Re: E520 display blank between "starting windows" and logon screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_VV1Uj-dNrI

Here is a video of what happens. Ignore the audio (the beep is not from the laptop).

Blue Screen Again
toddygould

I have this same proble on my E420. Slow start up is rather annoying!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Intermittent issues are always hard to diagnose.

Do you have the AMD switchable graphics or just integrated?

I know NVidia drivers cause a momentary blanking of the screen during logon, but not AMD.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/700/1400, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
fmcsimmons

As noted in the OP, this machine does not have switchable graphics... only integrated. 

Punch Card
fmcsimmons

Webcam driver causes boot delay

So after consulting the Sysinternals forum I've figured out that the cause of this delay is the integrated camera driver. The driver from the Lenovo website as well as the generic Windows driver for the webcam causes this delay.

Are other users having this problem with this? Is it possible I have a faulty machine and should get it replaced or will this be addressed with a driver update? Are there older drivers I can try to see if they have the same issue? Couldn't find any online.

Also, the card reader driver causes excessive cpu usage on boot, and resume from sleep or hibernate. 

What's DOS?
oculus

[ Edited ]

Yes. I'm having the same problem. Bought E520, did clean install of Windows.

With either generic camera driver or Lenovo driver, display blank between "starting windows" and logon screen as you described. With the driver uninstalled/device disabled, it boots without that much of a lag.

I would think a driver update would do it. For now I find the lag too intolerable and I don't feel like going back to the factory install. So no camera for me.

Maybe Lenovo can come up with a driver update for this one or some other fix.

PS, integrated graphics on mine too by the way.

What's DOS?
NKM920614

yes i have the same problem..

i have lenovo g470..screen goes blank for sometime after i start the windows..

Paper Tape
galaxyst

i as well have the same problem in the same machine, is there any resolve?
Paper Tape
daycartes

Yes I have the same problem and I kept wanting to switch it on as I wasn't sure of its state. I bought my E520 with windows professional already installed. I personally don't see it as much of a problem as the whole boot up sequence is so much quicker that the laptop it replaced.

Notwithstanding my last sentence if there is a cure please keep us informed. Thanks for your research so far.