Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
afcross

Edge 11 - NVY5EUK: does it have the Gobi 2000 card installed?

I'm getting such mixed information from retailers, and no answer at all from Lenovo after hanging on the phone for an hour. Some retailers say this machine does NOT have WWAN, some say it can be upgraded, and some say it is enabled (ready to go?). I appreciate that there is the NVY4LUK (glossy screen, WWAN upgradable), and NVY5FUK (anti-glare screen, not WWAN upgradable, but I am specifically looking at the top model NVY5EUK.

Can anyone state the true position? I don't want to assume it's included if it's not, because the retailer will just claim that they never said it had 3G Broadband in the first place!

Serial Port
afcross

Re: Edge 11 - NVY5EUK: does it have the Gobi 2000 card installed?

An update ... I placed an order today with a UK supplier for an NVY5EUK on the condition that he first find out whether the machine was fully equipped for 3G Broadband - their web site stated 'no', their techie stated 'no', I quoted the 'onebookcatalogue.pdf' from the Lenovo web site, he managed to speak to someone at Lenovo and came back with the answer that it does have full 3G Broadband.

As the majority of Lenovo sellers don't seem to know what they are selling (similar problems with the AMD specs too), I wonder how many potential sales are lost because customers think they are getting less than they really are with Lenovo, and go elsewhere for the features they are looking for. Or they get a machine that does not live up to the retailer's spec, and blame Lenovo.

It is surely not beyond the wit of Lenovo to publish on their web site a definitive and accurate specifications of all the machines they are currently selling - after all, they are the only ones who can really know. Most retailers seem to rely on www.icecat.biz, which is at best incomplete, and at worst misleading.

When my Edge 11 arrives in a couple of days I will know for sure. I trust it will also have the anti-glare screen I am hoping for!

Punch Card
slimgym

I came across your thread while looking at the Edge 11 and ordered the NVY5EUK as a gamble (the price difference FUK to EUK was £50 and I thought that's a lot for 2GB memory but worth it if I get a WWAN card!). The EUK arrived and I took the bottom off it and can confirm it does have a WWAN card with integrated GPS.

Very happy bunny :smileyhappy: Worth paying the extra for.

Paper Tape
digimanus

if it has the GOBI card you have 3G/GPS

be like a sunray, someone else might need it
Punch Card
slimgym

Yes confirmed it's 3G and GPS. With an XML file hack also got the SMS function to work, which is necessary to activate internet bundles.