09-17-2011 10:14 AM
I bought an Windows 7 Edge 11 almost 6 months ago (20th March, 2011). It has been properly cared for and stored correctly when not in use. I am fastidious in such matters. Despite the reasoanbly light use it recieves, it has ground to a halt.
Four days ago, I closed the lid and put into it's default hibernation state. As my partner wished to use it half an hour later, I opened the lid and powered it up. At this point, it took almost three minutes to bring up the "switch users" screen. After logging in, it took well over five minutes to display the desktop. After this, the entire machine became unresponsive. Twenty minutes later, I performed a hard shut down (held power button for 5 seconds).
After rebooting, both the boot and login process was noticeably longer.
I managed to get into msconfig to disable some of the remaining Lenovo bloatware (powerbar kept making the system stall). I also disabled some other non-critical applications.
At present, boot and login is about normal, but the system will only remain stable for about three minutes (depending on applications used / buttons pressed). After which, the system begins to sieze up. When this happens, there is a faint but distinctive sound that emanates from the right-hand side of the keyboard (beneath the carriage return).
You can listen to it here: http://www.4shared.com/audio/cELVnOR3/LenovoMP3.ht
WARNING: You'll have to turn your speakers and volume up very loud.
Once this noise is present, mouseclicks take ages to register and the system cannot be shut down normally.
This behaviour is also replicated in Safe Mode.
Any ideas? I'm asking here as I'm attempting to avoid having to contact Lenovo customer services unless absolutely necessary (another dismal story).
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
- Intel® Core™ i3-380UM ULV Processor (1.33GHz, 3MB L2,800MHz DDR3)
- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 US English
- 11.6 HD Glare - Heatwave Red-Gloss(w/o WWAN)
- Intel GMA HD Gfx, Intel Core i3-380UM ULV Processor (1.33GHz, 3MB L2,800MHz DDR3)
- 2 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
- Keyboard UK English
- 250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
- 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 2.6 Ah
- Country Pack United Kingdom with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
- Bluetooth w/ antenna
- Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 (1X2 BGN)
09-21-2011 09:11 PM