Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
kadi

Re: headphone noise

I have the same problem.  I tried what mortal says (going to recording devices). It worked, sort of. It drastically reduces the noise.

• Model: 0197-27U
  • BIOS version (Latest?): 1.17
  • OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit): Win 7 64 bit
  • Lenovo default OS? -
  • Issue happen on Battery / AC / Both? Both
  • Noise on speakers / on headphones / both? None, straight from the hardware
  • Noise happen upon booting up or after Windows is loaded? After Windows is loaded
  • Updates from TVSU completed? -
  • Updates from Windows Updates? yes
  • Power Manager Version? -
  • Power Management Driver? -
  • RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?) 3 GB
  • Any error notification before issue occured? No
  • 3rd party application installed before issue happen?No
  • Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises? No
  • Are you using any docking station? No
  • Additional comments which you think might help. When in BIOS menu, the noise is gone (drastically reduced). When in Windows 7 going to 'Recording Device', the noise is drastically reduced. When I disabled the Mic in the BIOS and went back to 'Recording Device' the noise did not go (or drastically reduced).

Fanfold Paper
mortal

On service they changed almost everything related to EMI noise and it is not so loud anymore but i still need sound recorder running in background.

It is definitely driver problem, i think that in linux there is no noise.

Punch Card
kamui

[ Edited ]

mortal wrote:

It is definitely driver problem, i think that in linux there is no noise.

I can not confirm that. I have a dual boot configuration and the noise is the same under Linux. There is even noise during the early boot process when no sound drivers are loaded at all. The noise is reduced only, when the system is halted during bootup and there is no CPU, bus or other activitiy anymore.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi All,

We are looking for volunteers in the Europe region who is able to send their machine in for evaluation. Kindly drop me a PM if you are interested.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
element51

Re: Edge 13 - AMD - Hiss / Distortion and EMI Noise on Speakers and Headphones

[ Edited ]

I just got my Intel thinkpad edge 13 a few days ago and seem to having the same issues. I'd like to also note that changing the display brightness varies the pitch of the noise and the noise almost disappears when plugged into an outlet. Also, I have noticed that if you push(with considerable force) down on the headphone plug(toward the desk) the noise usually subsides. Obviously this is not a fix but maybe someone smarter than I can get to the root cause of the issue. Oh and mortal's fix didn't work for me

Paper Tape
durak

[ Edited ]

JameZ wrote:

Hi All,

We are looking for volunteers in the Europe region who is able to send their machine in for evaluation. Kindly drop me a PM if you are interested.

//JameZ

Are you kidding? Lenovo pushes a defective product into the market, and then you expect people to send their computers in for evalutation? As has been stated the problem exists in each and every unit of the effected models. Just pick one out the production line.

Moderator edit: Removed sentence which violated the Community Rules.

Fanfold Paper
kadi

It is disappointing and laughable at the same time. I have to keep the sound window open all the time only to suppress the stupid annoying hiss (see the comment from Mortal). I also found out that the microphone windows does the same (reduces the hiss to a tolerable level).
Blue Screen Again
elamre

well at least they try to fix it :smileyhappy: you have any better ideas? no? ok then dont insult :smileywink:
Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

elamre here has volunteer the EDGE for engineering. Therefore there is no more need for others to volunteer.

@elamre,

Cheers for volunteering again =D

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
Ollierashi

Re: Edge 13 - AMD - Hiss / Distortion and EMI Noise on Speakers and Headphones

I am sad to inform that my edge 13 also has this problem.

I have nonetheless noticed when I accidentally let the battery run out that on my edge the problem dissappears completely when running low on power. The problem sadly returns while recharging the battery...

Hope this insight helps...