Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
lordchaos

Re: Edge 13 - AMD - Hiss / Distortion and EMI Noise on Speakers and Headphones

[ Edited ]

Yes, the noise is present in both situations. When the cpu has some load (when starting an application for instance), I can hear some higher pitched noises as well.

Also, the noise is already present when the laptop is started (on the BIOS screen for example) when no OS is loaded yet. So I think we can disqualify this as a driver issue.

Punch Card
henk

I have already posted this in another topic but it also seems to belong here.

I have a Intel version Edge 13. (when it's not in repair)

I can hear a faint static/hissing noise when connecting a headphone, it's not very audible and not annoying. However sometimes the static noise switches to a kind of very high pitched Morse code, that's a little annoying. Strange thing is when I hear this sound and stress the CPU the Morse code changes in a steady high pitched sound which is hardly audible anymore.

I can hear these sounds regardless of volume setting.

I think the Thinkpad Edge 13 just has a very poor design.

Fanfold Paper
lordchaos

[ Edited ]

Reading all the issues people have with the Thinkpad 13, I'm kinda surprised the machine was released at all. I agree with you on the faulty design, it looks like the machine was rushed to market.

Which is a shame really, because it could have been a fantastic laptop. The keyboard is the best I ever typed on, and it is lightweight but quite sturdy as well

I think Lenovo should come up with some kind of offer, I can no longer return my machine to the vendor and this particular issue is really important to me; I travel a lot and I use my headphones all the time. If Lenovo doesn't act further on this, I guess this was the last time I bought a Thinkpad and I'll go back to Vaio.

Punch Card
siyi

hello.

After checking this forum for a few days and the comparsion between edge13 and HP DM3, I decided to buy a Edge 13,  mine has the same problem,  it was kinda expected. So I decided to try something out myself as I have planned before I made the order. I dont think this is a software problem, as I can hear the noise already before I reach the windows.  Here are what I have tried, first of all, I bought a 3.5mm speaker and headphone splitter. something look like this http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=172340 but a different one.. All the headphones I have are fairly old, so I thought it might be campactable iusse with the new jack.   And this adapter doesnt work, Ican still hear the nosie. The second thing I tried was a USB audio adatoper from logitech, the logitech premium notebook headsethttp://www.logitech.com/en-us/notebook-products/pc-headsets/devices/223#section=gallery. This headset includes a USB adapter for audio.  I pluged my old headphone in the laptop via the USB adapter provided by logitech, and the noise gone, because the headset from the logitech is a noise canceling headset, so I am not sure if it was the USB part or the headset itself has that function built it.  The third thing i am going to try is that http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-1-Sound-card-USB-Adapter-Audio-Microphone-UK-Blue-/170505270877?cmd=ViewItem... .  I ordered this 2 days ago and it havent arrived yet. It seem to work the same way as the logitech USB audio adapter one. So I will try it out when it is here and hopfully that will work.   Hopfully it can be helpful to the people that needs to use headset alot while cant do anything about it.  I will do more testing later when that adapter arrives.

Fanfold Paper
lordchaos

Hi,

The reason the noise was gone with the Logitech headset was because you used a USB port for audio. It's not a headset that cancels outside noise (i.e. engine noise on a plane) but it has a noise cancelling microphone.

No non-usb headset will solve this issue as it is probably a hardware design issue.

Cheers,

Eric

Punch Card
siyi

yes, its because I used USB port for audio. it does seem like a non-software problem. I was trying with USB instead of the microphone jack to see if I can get by the noise problem, it did work for me, so i am happy in that case coz it makes no different to me.But for other people that has the same problem, the con is it requires a addition USB adapter...

Fanfold Paper
lordchaos

When my function board was replaced by a technician about two weeks ago, I e-mailed Lenovo support the same day that the problem still existed and asked what they planned on doing next. Not surprisingly, I haven't had an answer in almost two weeks time, I've sent several polite e-mails. I guess I'm being ignored. Great service, this.

Eric

Fanfold Paper
lordchaos

Latest update: now Lenovo wants to replace the motherboard. This will be done on July 15th. Will keep you posted.

Eric

Fanfold Paper
lordchaos

Unfortunately, my laptop was stolen last week :-(.

Fanfold Paper
mechazawa

@lordchaos: That reply of yours came unexpected :smileysad: I feel very sorry for you. Man this sucks so bad. I hope the stupid **bleep** who stole your notebook gets caught!

I have already sent back my Edge 13 but regularly check this thread for updates on the hissing issue and your reply really caught my attention.

What will you do next? I think I'm gonna wait for Lenovo to announce an update for the Edge 13 or for the Ideapad u360 to be released...