Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Cmms

Re: Edge 13 - AMD - Hiss / Distortion and EMI Noise on Speakers and Headphones

Sad to say that my new Intel Thinkpad Edge 13 has also this issue, I have to say I'm quite disappointed with this Christmas present. The display alone leaves room for improvement (pixels show up odd, it's almost like there is this grey mesh in the display), but the issue with the headset jack is really annoying. Thinking about returning this to the retailer, but that's a pain too. This experience hasn't really been what I expected from the Thinkpad brand. My first and perhaps my last Lenovo.

Paper Tape
Ollierashi

[ Edited ]

Hmm, further investigation show that the humming on my edge is not only affected by battery charge state, but also screen brightness. As the brightness goes up, so does the sound, anyone else experiencing this?

Seems like theres either a component leaking power on the board or the circuit diagram for the motherboard is **bleep**ed up, either way I doubt its a software issue...

Btw does this fall under warranty?

Fanfold Paper
Cmms

Yes it fall's under warranty.

My Lenovo just came from the service, but they did absolutely nothing! According to the service form they couldn't find the problem. Must be deaf. This truly is my first and last Lenovo. Should have just bought the Asus UL30A. Any suggestions how to go forward with the issue? It just seems like they don't want to take any responsibility...

Retired Employee
JameZ

@Cmms,

We are looking into this issue however engineering has requested a machine which shows this problem. We had a volunteer previously however despite several emails to the volunteer, there hasn't been any revert so far.

If you want to, you may volunteer your laptop and it will be sent to a lab. The parts for the ThinkPad Edge has been prepared for test.

Do drop me a PM if you are interested.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Serial Port
yt8019

I'm happy to send in my AMD Edge 13 UK Version for testing provided that Lenovo gives me a similar-spec'd machine to work on in the mean time.

It is annoying to face not only this audio issue on a daily basis but the regular forum update emails with hopes of a solution but in fact are just another new user's "me too!"  complaint about the same issue.

Fanfold Paper
Cmms

Fortunately now that I have tried to replicate the issue after the service (in witch they did nothing in my understanding) all I can hear is a slight static hiss. Nothing too bad. So this computer might not be the best choice for testing purposes... Hope the issue doesn't come back =).

Still, I have to say, even though this is a nice computer on paper, between the issues with the headphone jack, display (odd spacing between the pixels, does anyone know what I mean?) and touch pad, I hope I would have made a different choice. But I suppose you can't win every time...

Exo
Paper Tape
Exo

Hello,

really, it doesnt seems to that they put so much effort in solving the problem. Now its because of us, because we do not send one of our Notebooks. Hey, its a Lonovo forum and here is "Lenovo Staff". Why is it a problem to get a version of a ThinkPad -Edge with the problem from Lenovo!?!?  Lenovo knows about the problem and cant help.  They are just delaying until all of our noteboks are out of warranty.  Sorry, but thath how it looks like.

Do one of you know: If there is no solution for the problem, can i get my money back?

Retired Employee
JameZ

@Exo,

Engineering have already tested the Edge from their end and they have reported there was no hiss / distortion found on their unit as well that is why a customer's computer which is showing this problem is needed in order for them to diagnose.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Exo,

We really want to solve this issue - this discussion has been going on for a while, but given the number of people complaining here vs the total number of edges ship, my inference is that it is a very small percentage that are affected.

We have tried to test with a system in the US and one in Europe by two different teams and the problem was not seen.

Therefore, as Jamez suggests, we need a system. 

Why can one not be sent in?  If it is a defective part, you would have to send it in for service anyway - this way at least we can see the problem and fix it, and then have the parts to analyze.

Can someone please work with us? 

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
Eaglehorn

[ Edited ]

@Mark

I suggest you speak to Matt. T (2nd Level) 

I send in my Edge 13 for inspection several months ago - He identified and confirmed the issue on my unit, decribed in this thread.

Unfortunetly, errors were made on Lenovo's side which resulted in a lot of wasted time, and a missed chance to try and fix the issue.

Reading your post genuinely puts me on "edge" here.

I will happily return my Edge 13 to you for further testing, but, I do not wish get it back.

I have opened a case with Lenovo (Denmark) in which I am looking to return the product, so if you want my unit for testing then you are most welcome.

*edit note* - Lenovo employee name masked.