Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
TacoBellMan24

Edge 15: while charging 100% CPU? Support?

[ Edited ]

I recently tried to contact Lenovo support for help with my computer and they hung up on me twice.  Also, I posted my problem on here and the MOD deleted my post and all my other posts where I posted in other people's who had the same problem.  I have a Thinkpad Edge 15 and everytime I plug it in to charge my computer runs slower.  My cpu usage rises to between 90-100%.  If I am not doing anything when it is charging then nothing is wrong, but if I try to use word, youtube, skype or anything else, my computer starts to freak out.  Also, I have noticed that when I plug it in and it says "plugged in, not charging" it runs fine, but when it says "plugged in, charging" that is when I start seeeing problems.  I have run every type of diagnostic test I can find on my laptop and it passes them all.  Even the thinkvantage tools.  In the power manager I have my settings set to perfomance when plugged and everywhere else I can see that option I change it to that.  Nothing seems to work and I have yet to receive any type of help.  My batter is 65w or 60w I cannot remeber which number it is, I know it is not 90w.  I am very dissappointed in Lenovo right now even though I have alwasy liked there computers.  This experience is causing me to never want to get a Lenovo again.  I understand that every computer producer will have there problems, but I am tired of not receiving any help from Lenovo's support.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Thanks,

Rodney Parks 

Big Rod
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

Re: Edge 15: while charging 100% CPU? Support?

Hi Big Rod, 

The easy way out of this would be for you to see if you can beg or borrow a 90 watt adapter and see if it still does the same thing.  The obvious problem is that it only does this when the battery is charging, that seems to be a power problem.  

You have all your power settings set to high performance and that's where I have all my computers set at, but at those settings, your adapter might not be putting out enough juice to handle the requirements of the computer and charge the battery at the same time. And it's probably not a defective 65 watt charger.  It just might not be putting out enough watts.

Adapters are relatively cheap.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
TacoBellMan24

Hey Dave,

Thank you for your answer.  I was thinking the same thing, but I do not know much about computers to really tell.  Since I just bought my laptop wouln't my warranty cover the cost of a new charger?  I will deffinitely look into getting a new one with a higher watage. 

Thanks again,
Rodney Parks 

Big Rod
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

The warranty would only cover the cost of the 65 watt adapter.  I doubt that there's anything wrong with the adapter, it could be that 65 watts just isn't enough to power everything.  The thing that I see is that it works okay on battery and it works okay on the adapter as long as the battery isn't charging.  Once the battery starts charging, it goes haywire.  

On the sales page, the 90 watt adapter shows up as an accessory.  I think it should show up as an option, but that's just me.

I'll bet that you could get your machine to work right when it's charging by lowering the screen brightness, lowering your power settings, but that would be just hamstringing your machine.  Performance would suffer.  

When you're using the machine and the battery is charging, how hot does the adapter get?

I have a bunch of older Tpads, single core Pentium Ms, slow processors and they all run on the same adapters, 65 watt, and if I start watching movies or crunching numbers, the adapter starts heating up.

You said that service hung up on you twice, so I doubt that you'll get too much help regarding getting a larger adapter.  And you'll probably get a goofy diagnosis, because they're going to diagnose it with your 65watt adapter.

If it was me, I would bite the bullet and just get a 90watt adapter. If that fixes it, then you got away with very little hassle.  If it doesn't fix it, then I'll stand corrected and you and me can go further into it.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество