Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
samsam
Accepted Solution

Edge E520 will not turn on

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Yesterday I turned off my Notebook (also, no any problems). Today will not turn on!!!!. I tried this steps too:

1- unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery. Then, push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals. Next, push and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and pushed the power button, but not turn on.

2- unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery. Then, push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals. Next, push and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the AC adapter (without battery) and push the power button, but not turn on.

If AC power adapter is connected, Power-status indicators is off. 

Note: I did not update Bios and etc., I have not external devices. I installed just Windows Server 2008 R2 and worked fine.

I want to know what happened!!!!

Thanks

Regards

Punch Card
mtemp

Re: Edge E520 will not turn on

[ Edited ]

A number of us have had similar issues, at least with E420s.  The fix to this is to send it to a service center and they will replace the motherboard if the system is still under warranty. I'm on my second fix to this in 4 months!

This problem appears to be pretty pervasive, and I believe there is a design issue with the Edge series.

ADMIN EDIT 8-30-2013

If you are experiencing these symptoms, please contact support regardless of warranty status.  There may be additional provisions (through 8/30/2013  depending upon qualifying factors) to assist you - support should be able to determine.

8/30/2013 Update - Lenovo is extending the end date to 11/30/2013.

ADMIN EDIT - 12-15-13

The extended covereage for these symptoms has ended on 11/30/2013 as noted above.  

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,251
Solutions: 1,341

it is to do with a batch of faulty EEPROM chip used in the Edge series produced at the end of the 2011.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
designworks

Great. I just had this same issue. Fortunately its covered by warranty. But still a major PITA.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

[ Edited ]

All,

As Mtemp suggests, if you have experienced this issue, you might try a battery reset. the battery reset as described in this KB article.   (edit - corrected)

If that doesn't work - it is likely a system board fault and you should contact service - see my updates to the solution post above.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
lead_org

@Mark the link provided is for the E220s/E420s reset button.

Not a battery reset for the E320, E420, E520 machine.
Regards,

Jin Li

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

Ah,

You know...my bad.  :smileysurprised:    

Thanks!

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
brnw

My E520 won't turn on!

I'm a student in New Zealand but bought my Lenovo ThinkpadEdge E520 in the USA.  I was using it (on battery power still had 2+ hours left), when it turned off on me.  There was no shut down sequence or warning of any kind.  I haven't been able to get it to turn back on either, plugged into the wall (with or without the battery),  or on battery power.  I have no idea what is going on, I don't do anything requiring high amounts of power or anything.  What should I do??

lead_org

Re: My E520 won't turn on!

try taking out the yellow CMOS battery cell for like 5 minutes, then replug it back. Alternatively, take off your battery and ac power, and press the on/off button 10 times, in 30 seconds succession.

Do you still have warranty left? If you do, then you should check whether you are eligible for warranty cover in NZ (since you bought the machine from the states).

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/iws.page?
Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
mtemp

Re: My E520 won't turn on!

I feel for you having this problem.  Your motherboard is shot.  If you look down through this forum, you'll see that this is a pervasive problem with the Edge series.  The only solution is a replacement.

There are two issues.  First is whether your machine is older than a year, which places it under warranty.  If not, you're now in the market for a new machine.  Second is how to get warranty service since you bought in another country.  That might be a bit trickier.

There is a guy who frequents this board named Mark who works for Lenovo.  His heart seems in the right place.  If you're under warranty, he might be able to send a couple of internal emails to get your machine repaired for you. 

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.