Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Gerrit65

Re: Edge E520 will not turn on

I bought my Lenovo E520 at the end of December 2011 and 6 month later this problem occurs. 

My E520 won't start anymore.

When I'm reading al these mesages it must be the MB that gives the problems with the startup.

Paper Tape
polo922

From France :

Same problem with my E520 : refuse to turn on.

It was delivered early december 2011. I didn't used it more than 3 weeks overall and now I DO need : it it's out.

Services is below zero, I mean close to absolute zero (but without supra conductivity :smileyvery-happy:) :

first call 6-25 : they doesn't understand french and send a fan replacement and close the case

second call 7-6 : send the machine to service Done

call center in bulgaria or roumania

"support_fr@uk.ibm.com" in slovenia or slovaquia

"repair center" is just a desk in UPS building

French HQ is just a postal address with some nice looking salesmen not concerned with custs' problems

EMEA HQ in Italy : does not answer

Factory in RPC

HQ in HKg

No one is responsible for anything

How do you expect this to work properly ?

Thanks to french regulations : I will ask my money back because I dont want to have to resend the machine every week.

I will upgrage my old IBM TP600x and that's fine.

I suggest anyone having this problem to post here.

Good luck to all of you guys

What's DOS?
only

Sorry to add to the growing list of issues but add my E520 as well, it seems this is pretty common now. Now in for its second repair. I would expect more from Lenovo but as they are bent on becoming the largest PC maker in the world they have dropped the ball on quality. Mine is still under warranty I guess I will have to try to extend my warranty so they can keep on replacing the defective motherboard. The good thing is other manufacturers out there care more about customers. Thinkpad was a badge of honor when IBM owned it now it has hit the skids. Read this extend your warranty and then buy from another maker next time. Its a bummer I source PC for my company and was suggesting Lenovo. Now I get to tell others how bad they have become.

Paper Tape
Vadimc

I tought that Lenovo had good quality laptops. But The E520 series is a disaster.

Current status:

+- 30 Lenovo E520 bought 

3 laptops with MB failure

1 with HD failure

I had more luck with the asus laptops: 16 bought zero failures

What's DOS?
gretone

i thought 2 that lenovo had good quality laptops. But The E520 series is a disaster.

i have one and i had a problem constantly restating and making noises then the power problem happend thnaks god i have waranty
What's DOS?
gretone

its the worst laptop i have ever bought
Paper Tape
polo922

Hi As I read those posts I understand - E520 fails to turn on within 6 months (just my case) - sending the machine to the repair center leads to a change of mother board and ac/dc - the machine sended back is still in failure within 2 or 6 months - Lenovo refuses to extend the warranty on the faulty parts - this leads to the end of warranty period and then you have to pay for a new repair. This is a true scandal! Did anyone tried to contact a responsible Lenovo executive ? Should we try to contact th IT press ? What do you suggest ?
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,329

The new motherboard in service shouldnt have the faulty eeprom.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
polo922

@lead_org wrote "The new motherboard in service shouldnt have the faulty eeprom."

The E520 manuf line is out for months now. Replaced by new line E525/E530.

Manufacturing process is : all mother boards for a line are build at the same time for boxes AND for replacement according on an estimated failure rate.
They wouldn't build new MB for repair on an old line! They have not anymore the manuf process line!
So replacement is made on the old line MB base and by cannibalisation of old machines.

@lead_org wrote "The new motherboard in service shouldnt have the faulty eeprom."

The E520 manuf line is out for months now. Replaced by new line E525/E530.

Manufacturing process is : all mother boards for a line are build at the same time for boxes AND for replacement according on an estimated failure rate.
They wouldn't build new MB for repair on an old line! They have not anymore the manuf process line!
So replacement is made on the old line MB base and by cannibalisation of old machines.

See that poor guy who already send twice his machine to the repair center.
The breakdown occurs within 3 to 6 months so replacement leads to the end of the Year Warranty period. That just easy like this.
Do you think that Lenovo will build new EEPROM and replace them on the MB ?
Too costy my friend Better change the line and see next.

The image of Lenovo is now : how would they manage such type of problem they did not include in their process ?
I mean from a customer point of view of courseSee that poor guy who already send twice his machine to the repair center.
The breakdown occurs within 3 to 6 months so replacement leads to the end of the Year Warranty period. That just easy like this.
Do you think that Lenovo will build new EEPROM and replace them on the MB ?
Too costy my friend Better change the line and see next.

The image of Lenovo will be stated now on how will they manage such type of problem they did not include in their process ?
I mean from a customer point of view of course

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,329

Firstly E525 is not a replacement for the E520, the E525 was around since the release of the E520, it is simply an AMD CPU version of the E520, not a replacement.

Secondly the failed eeprom issue only affected the E520 in some instances, it did.not affect the early build machine. Also Lenovo uses multiple part supplier for a laptop.

Regarding parts refurbishment this do happen, but if it is a faulty EEPRoM then replacement of which would suffice to prevent the same issue from rehappening.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft