Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
cquell
Accepted Solution

How do I access function keys (e.g. Alt+F4 ) and ASCII codes on the Thinkpad Edge?

Hi,

I just got a new Thinkpad Edge with Windows 7. I like the keyboard but have a problem closing programs using Alt+F4. Even if I hold down the FN key to access the function keys and then press Alt+F4, nothing happens.

My questions:

1. Is there a way to switch how keys in the top row are assigned so that I can access the function keys directly (like on a normal keyboard) and then have to press FN in order to access the media keys like mute, volume, etc. using the FN key?

2. There is no numlock key on the thinkpad and I don't know how to enter ASCII codes on the Edge. On a normal keyboard, you use alt plus a number to produce characters not available on the keyboard. I type a lot in French and need to access the ALT+135 combination.

These are quite serious problems for me right now, so if anyone has an answer I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Carsten

Fanfold Paper
derekwilliams

Re: How do I access function keys (e.g. Alt+F4 ) and ASCII codes on the Thinkpad Edge?

1. At start up hit enter to intrrupt normal operation like the screen says.  Then go into bios, under Keyboard you can swap how the function and media keys work.  Also there is a Fn -> Cntrl swap that will make the Fn key Ctrl and the Ctrl key Fn.

2.  There's nothing I can suggest to fix this, get a cheap USB numpad maybe?  I'm not sure how many of these smaller keyboards even offer a num lock switch.  I prefer it to not be there myself, especially with no indicator lights.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: How do I access function keys (e.g. Alt+F4 ) and ASCII codes on the Thinkpad Edge?

Hi cquell, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

On #2 have you tried changing your keyboard layout in Windows? For example in the US International keyboard layout (which keyboard layout are you starting from?) the special characters are just two keys, no ASCII codes required.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
Reseth

Yes try to figure this in windows. for instance on czech layout I use right alt+v to type @. and lot more so my advice is to try different keyboard layouts. Because alt+number codes is annoning way on every laptop without dedicated numeric keyboard(I have possibility to enable numpad on jkl and sorrounding keys. but its pain in the ass)  but if you really need them... try external keyboard od numpad(can be bought for about 5USD). Or last desperate solution. to use charmap in windows.

Paper Tape
cquell

Hey Derek,

Just got up and saw your response. Thank you so much for your answer. Now, my function keys work just like I need them to. Thanks!!!

Carsten

Paper Tape
cquell

Hi Bananaman,

I appreciate your work as a 'crazy volunteer' :smileyhappy:

I work as a translator and bought my Thnkpad Edge with Windows 7 here in Canada but have the keyboard layout configured to German-standard. I have looked around for a few hours now trying to find the two special character combination to produce the French "ç" (c with a little hook below).

I read in some places that CTRL+comma, then "c" would produce "ç". But it doesn't work. I also tried the AltGr key (the alt key to the right of the space bar). In German keyboard layout, AltGr is equivalent to Alt+CTRL. AltGr + e produces the € (euro sign) no problem.

What I am looking for is a way to configure my keyboard so that e.g. AltGr + c would produce the "ç". Must be possible but I don't know how.

In MS Word, I managed to configure keyboard shortcuts to produce the "ç" but that obviously only works under Word. So, when I am in Notepad or writing an e-mail in a browser, I still need to find the two character keyboard combination.

Any help from anyone would be really appreciated. The Thinkpad Edge does not have a virtual number pad on the keyboard that you can get to using the alt key to produce ASCII codes. Otherwise, I would just use alt+135. :smileysad:

Carsten

Community SuperMod
bananaman

OK I'm not sure this gets you closer to a cedilla, but check out this Microsoft keyboard layout information. Among other things, it shows you the key mappings:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx

Have you considered switching to US International? I think it covers English/French/German pretty well?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
What's DOS?
bszoka

I don't understand this. On standard keyboards, I just hold down ALT and the right numbers (like ALT-0151 to get an EM dash). But I can't figure out how to do this on my Yoga.