Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
shawndh
Accepted Solution

How to get identify missing drivers and or access factory restore partition on E520

I just bought a used Red E520-1143CTO in brand new condition, from someone who screwed up the OS (It had Windows 7 Home Prem 64). A lot of the drivers were missing and not working correctly. The restore partition is still there when I look in My Computer but when i reboot and press F11, I never get the option to access it. There was no Lenovo software installed to create a repair disk and of course, it didn't come with any software. Is there a way to access it?

I also have access to another E520 that is almost exactly the same (It just has the older i3 processor). I tried to create a repair disk from it and use it on this computer but it says the Windows versions are not compatible or the Repair software is not compatible with this version.

So I'm trying to figure out if there is an alternative way to access this restore partition. I've installed a company version of Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit on this machine and I've got most of the drivers installed and it appears to be working fine. But I have three that have yellow exclaimation points:

1) Base System Device

2) SM Bus Controller

3) Unknown Device

I've been downloaded drivers from this site, but I can't can't figure out which drivers I need to clear this list. So oI would love to get it restored to factory default. If not, I'd like to know what drivers I need to clear this list. I want it to look like brand new because I was going to give it to someone as a gift. I just don't see the on screen prompts for the wifi button (doens't work), volume, and brightness like the other machine. I'd like to get all that working. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: How to get identify missing drivers and or access factory restore partition on E520

Try System Update?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
shawndh

Re: How to get identify missing drivers and or access factory restore partition on E520

That was it! It didn't have any of the Lenovo software on it. After I installed that, it started automatically finding devices and installing drivers. I got the all except one now - SM BUS I believe this has to do with the BIOS but I checked the BIOS version and it's the latest. Everything seems to be working fine but I wish I could get rid of that one device.

Thanx for the reply.

What's DOS?
lemain

I am looking for the SM bus controller following a clean W7 re-install after total hd failure/replacement.  All seems OK acccording to solution centre other than this one issue.  Since solution centre cannot find the file, what do I do?  Many thanks :smileyhappy: