Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenora
Accepted Solution

HyperX Memory Upgrade on E520 - Need Advice

[ Edited ]

I have 4GB of RAM and wanting to upgrade to 8GB.  I'm considering getting HyperX RAM.  I'm not a gamer, but I use the computer heavily each day, with many programs/windows open.  I also want to have the best performance while doing video editing.

I really know nothing about this, so I need to find out:

1. Can HyperX be installed on the E520?

2. If so, will system changes need to be made?

3. If so, where can I find that info?

4. Will there be a noticable difference in system performance, though I'm not a gamer?

5. What are the pros/cons of using HyperX on the E520?

6. Any known problems/issues using HyperX on the E520?

If experienced users of this system can tell me that upgrading with regular memory will more than suffice for my needs, I will be happy to do so.

Any advice in making this decision will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Lenora

(a heavy computer user with just enough tech knowledge to be dangerous)

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: HyperX Memory Upgrade on E520 - Need Advice

[ Edited ]

Hi Lenora,  welcome,

A couple of questions and comments to start the conversation:

What operating system are you running?  If it's a 32-bit Windows version, you won't be able to use more that 4GB of RAM.

What is your machine type?  Something like "1143-KGU" as an example.  That should provide info on the overall machine configuration.  With that you/we can look it up in the edgebook and verify what you are dealing with.

From the edgebook, it looks like T520s use this RAM: "PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3, non-parity"

Whatever RAM you buy must conform to this specification.  HyperX is a Kingston brand name.   You'll need to verify that whichever HyperX RAM you choose (or other brand) meets the above spec.

Others on the board may (hopefully) chime in with their Edge vs HyperX experience.  I've used neither.

Please report back with your machine type, OS, and have a look at the edgebook.

Z.

[edit] Clarify Kingston HyperX - I hope.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenora

Hi, Z, thanks so much for your quick response...

My ThinkPad Edge is an E520, 1143-AFU.

I'm running Win 7 Pro.

I took a look at the Edgebook.  Under accessories, it only shows the "regular" memory.  I'm beginning to think I should leave well enough alone and just get some regular memory and be ecstatic that I have an excellent laptop with 8GB of memory!  (My old one - and I mean ANCIENT - would only hold a max of 2GB memory - so yeah, I'm happy.  :smileyhappy: )

Your feedback is still appreciated, though!  Thanks so much!

Lenora

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

don't worry, you won't get any noticeable performance boost with the use of the HyperX RAM even if you are doing video editing.

Just get the regular grade ram (avoid any value line though), and you should be fine.

The max ram capacity of the E320, E420 and E520 with i Core CPU is 16 gigs.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

@lenora

You say your OS is Win  Pro.  Is it the 64-bit version?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenora

Z, sorry, yes, my OS is 64-bit.

What brand of memory would you recommend?  What to stay away from?

Thanks,

Lenora

lead_org

Corsair value and Kingston value line.
Regards,

Jin Li

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I hope that was lead_org's "stay away" list :smileyhappy:

I've had good luck with Crucial.

There are a fair number of reports of problems with Corsair.  I don't think it's a bad product in general, but there seem to be issues with Corsair and Lenovo.

Z.

lead_org

Yes that was my stay away list. Samsung, Elipida, micron, normal kingston, even patriot are ok in thinkpad.
Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenora

Okay, wow, thanks!  I'll stay away from the value lines.

I appreciate all of the feedback.  I will certainly come back to this forum if/when I have more questions/issues with my ThinkPad.  :smileyhappy:

Now off to order me some memory...

Thanks again!

Lenora