Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Fanfold Paper
harissahlan
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎01-21-2012
Location: Jakarta
0
Accepted Solution

I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

Dear all,

 

I always get slightly electrocuted when I plug a monitor to my E420 and touch the fingerprint reader (I was barefooted). I tried all monitors in my home and they all are the same. Will plugging a monitor damage my ThinkPad?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Regards,

 

Haris

Token Ring
len0v0
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎10-02-2010
Location: USA

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

Make sure your monitor is connected to a grounded outlet.

I don't think it's harmful to the computer, I had this problem in our old house for years and the laptop still works today. :smileyhappy:
Fanfold Paper
harissahlan
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎01-21-2012
Location: Jakarta
0

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

My house only have 2-prong outlets. 3-prong outlets are rarely used in my country. What should I do?

topmahof
Posts: 3,166
Topics: 35
Kudos: 351
Solutions: 235
Registered: ‎01-21-2010
Location: Etters, PA
0

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

Does your ac adapter have 2 or 3 prongs?

 

If it has 3 prongs, are you using a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter to plug it in? 

 

Dave

_______________________________________________________
T430u, x301, x200T, x61T, 2-x61s, x60T, x32, x41T, x40, U160, ThinkPad Tablet 1838-22R, Z500 touch, Yoga 10
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
Fent
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
0

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

 All it really means is that when the electricity is trying to find ground, that you offer the easiest path (with the least resistance).  If you were wearing shoes you would not get a shock.  I also suspect your floor is concreat, or possible hard wood. Whats your floor made of?

Fanfold Paper
harissahlan
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎01-21-2012
Location: Jakarta
0

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

I can finally overcome this problem by using a wire and a nail as grounding. Thanks everyone!