Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
terr0

Lenovo Edge E520 in Power Surge

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could help out/advise what to do next with my power issue.

Story is;

Laptop was connected to power when power surge happened. It cannot turn on at all. I have reset the power dio within the laptop with no success, whether the battery is in or not it still will not turn on. I have replaced the power adapter and have also tested that the power adapter is getting it's full 20V when testing with a meter. I have just replaced the DC-IN card on the laptop (card that power adapter directly plugs into inside laptop) and still no power. I have also tried to test the power button connection to the DC-IN card with no power there aswell. Not too sure if this only gets power if the computer is on?

Anyway. I want to try to get around NOT replacing the motherboard as it is pretty expensive and I dont have any warranty on the laptop at present. Looking for answers on here before I go the long yard awaiting for answers for days or even months like before when I have rung customer service.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: Lenovo Edge E520 in Power Surge

so what happens when you plug the power adapter into the laptop, does any of the LED light come on?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
terr0

Hi Lead_org,

No power what so ever. Just like the laptop is dead all together.
lead_org

the power circuit must have been fried with the power surge.

So removing the CMOS battery doesn't help right?
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
terr0

Have tried to remove the CMOS and still no lights/response from the laptop.
lead_org

then you got a dead motherboard.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
terr0

That is what I am thinking at the moment. I will try and source a new motherboard from Lenovo and keep this thread updated on my steps.
Paper Tape
nam3less

terr0,

Happened to me too but on my E420 laptop and the power surge fried the motherboard. The only option is to send it to back to Lenovo who will replace the motherboard if its under warranty. This machine is 6 month old and i am not sure what will happen after the warranty finishes. I am waiting for mine to come back from repair though in the meantime i have bought another E420 I5 notebook as this is a work unit and i cant be without the machine for a long time.

I am never going to buy Lenovo again. 

Punch Card
mtemp

Terr0,

Are you sure that you were affected by a power surge? There are a high number of Edge machines that have random motherboard failures unrelated to power surges.  Many examples of that happening are on this board, and other boards on the internet.  The issue is a design defect that causes the motherboards to fail.

That being the case, I would try one thing, since you're out of warranty.  If I were you, I'd put on my absolutely most pleasant and pleasing personality, call the Lenovo service center in Oz, and very politely tell them in detail the failures that others have had with motherboard failures, tell them that this is an obvious design defect, and ask them what the process is for creating an exception to the warranty process for your machine.

It's a long shot, but perhaps worth the effort.

I've been through 2 motherboards in 4 months.  I know my problems are not due to power surges because I have two machines operating side by side, powered by the same outlet.  (I'm a consultant, and I keep my client's work separated by using physically different machines.  Both of my failures happened when two machines were operating, and only the edge failed).  Granted I'm under warranty, but I've been treated superbly by the Lenovo service team, particularly on the second failure, and they just might do the right thing for you.

Good luck.

Paper Tape
Gerrit65

In December 2011 I bought my first LENOVO laptop (Thinkpad E520) and I regret it more than 100%

What a terrible product is LENOVO. In July 2011 the motherboard was replaced because the laptop would not startup The laptop worked for a month but today the same problem occured. The laptop will not start. I contacted LENOVO Support Netherland and the laptop will be picked up again next monday.

This is the last time LENOVO has the chance to repair the laptop 100%, if not I demand my money back.

LENOVO IS really bad quality! NEVER BUY IT!!!!!