Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
zsoltkaracsony
Accepted Solution

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13 (0217) battery problem

Hello Guys,

Since I couldn't find any solution for my problem, I decided to write here, hoping that someone (either from team Lenovo or from the users) have the same problem and therefore can help me.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 model (version 0217). (I bought it from a friend, since it was not shipped anymore when I decided to buy it.)

I have problems with my battery. The design capacity of it is 62.12 Wh, I used it wisely, so it wasn't always charged up to 100%. I always discharge it down around 5-7% and then plug in the AC adapter. (See image.)

2012-04-28_132033.png

My first problem is that in the last 3 months, the capacity is gone down to 45.88 Wh and I can't really figure out why. Can this be a generic problem with the battery?

My second problem is - for which I've found another topic here but it didn't help me - that when I charge the battery, charging stops at 99%, showing "3 minutes is remaining" and if I unplug and replug the adapter, it stops as 99% saying it is fully charged. In the battery maintenance, I changed the settings from "Always fully charge" to Custom, but still, it won't charge up the battery fully.

2012-04-28_132353.png

My third problem is that I updated the BIOS of my laptop some days ago and when I try to search for a battery firmware update or when I do a battery gauge reset, the system suddenly shuts down without any warning or whatever.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, I really love my laptop but it really bugs me...

Thanks in advance.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13 (0217) battery problem

1) Battery do wear out eventually, you already have 234 cycles on the battery. So the battery capacity drop in the latter part of the cycles count is quite normal. It is nature of these battery to wear out.

2) For thinkpads, this behaviour is quite normal, this helps to prevent unnecessary wear on the battery cell. Once you use your battery back to say 95% or so, it will recharge back to 100%.

3) Are you saying that your laptop no longer works or that it intermittently shuts down?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
zsoltkaracsony

1) Yep, I know that battery do wear out after a certain ammount of time, but it's just strange, because the laptop wasn't really used before I bought it (2-3 times at most). It's acceptable just a bit disturbing.

2) I discharged the battery down to 94-95% and reconnected the AC adapter. Still won't charge up to 100%. "99% avaliable (plugged in, charging).

It's rather a problem with this series or with my computer specifically, because I use a T420 as well and it charges up correctly to 100%.

3) I still can use the laptop, it just turns itself off (like when some parts overheat). The latest issues was when a couple of minutes before I started the Power Manager. It loads, then the computer shuts down (Power Manager version 6.05 is currently installed, I guess.) This might be the problem of the program, because it didn't shut down before.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

1) So you must have used it a bit then, as the charge cycle is at 234.

2) Not sure, but sometimes my battery does it.

3) Download HWinfo32 and check your system temp, and what your CPU temperature is at.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft