Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Dunderball

Protecting the palm rest on Thinkpad Edge series?

Hi all,

This is my first ThinkPad in a long time.  I've owned a used ThinkPad R60 and T40 for some time now.  They are built like tanks.

The Edge feels a little flimsier than old-school ThinkPads, and am wondering if anyone has had any problems with the palm rest becoming discolored after heavy usage.  I'm thinking about getting some cheesy palm rest protectors but not sure if it's really necessary.

Token Ring
paralityk

Re: Protecting the palm rest on Thinkpad Edge series?

I have mine (e420) since june 2011.
There is no sign of paint wearing off, looks exactly like new.
My usage consists of daily 10+ h sessions, nb is on 24/7 or sleeping. It also has hd6330m so temps get higher than in models without it.
Punch Card
Ph03nix95

[ Edited ]

I was also wondering about this. Also thinking about getting a zagg invisible shield made for the e420 palm rest and top cover as well as maybe a keyboard cover. But I think that sounds like way too much so would really like to hear opinions of people who have used it for a while. 

@paralityk 

That's good to know, I got my e420 just recently. Is there any discoloration/greasiness on the keyboard/top cover or anything like that or all fine? Do you clean it often, if so how?

Token Ring
paralityk

[ Edited ]

The only downside is top cover scratching off by a little tiny bit on edges of corners where it touches silver frame around the screen. Everything else looks untouched. My lappie travels once every other week in a regular backpack, next to books etc.
The way I clean it? Spray LCD cleaner on screen and clean the rest of the nb with whatever dropped on palm rest/keyboard and whatever is left on cloth you were cleaning it with.

Also, to make it all relative, laptop before: Compal FL90 was noticeably wearing paint off of palm rest after this time

Paper Tape
Dunderball

Thanks for the responses.  I'll keep my anxieties at bay and go without the neurotic looking protection.  Sort of like covering your sofas in plastic wrap.

Token Ring
paralityk

Exactly :smileywink: Pointless.

I mean, after all, it's still ThinkPad, right?

Punch Card
Ph03nix95

Also one other thing, when I use the laptop for a while and sometimes my palms get sweaty (or if there sometimes slightly wet), it seems that the sweat/water 'transfers' onto the palm rest and then if I move my hand along the palm rest, it almost feels as the surface sort of rubs off (although this could just be dust, not sure) anyone else experience this?