Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
pjk0159

Recovery Issue with Flash Disk (desperate!)

I am currently attempting to switch out my HDD for an SDD on my e220s.

In order to 'reset' my new SSD to the original factory settings, I created a boot flash drive on my 16giger.

when I try to boot from the flash drive, all I get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. What gives??

I did all the 'diskpart' stuff and made sure that the flash drive is "active."

The directory for my recovery flash drive is as follows:

dir BOOT

dir factoryrecovery

usb.tag

winRE.wim

Please help. I just received my laptop today, and this is an extremely frustrating!

Paper Tape
pjk0159

Re: Recovery Issue with Flash Disk (desperate!)

excuse me for double-posting, but i had to ask due to the lack of responses:

was this a dumb question or incredibly difficult to resolve?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Recovery Issue with Flash Disk (desperate!)

[ Edited ]

This problem is usually do to the missing "active" flag, but you've already addressed that.

Try booting the flash drive on another machine.  If it isn't a Lenovo (and maybe if it is, but isn't an e220s) it won't boot all the way up.  It will probably start R&R, then reboot.  The point here is to verify that it's bootable at all.

If it isn't, the problem is with the flash dive or how it was made bootable.  Another thing you might try is to spin up a Linux live CD and use fdisk to verify the active setting of the flash drive's partition.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog