Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
mpmcquinn

Replacement Emblem?

[ Edited ]

About a month after purchasing my ThinkPad Edge E520, an edge of one of the decal letters in the chrome Lenovo emblem affixed to the lid became caught in my sweatshirt while I was closing it.  Shortly thereafter the letter 'e' in the emblem fell off.  The emblem now reads "L novo" (see below for a photograph of the damaged emblem).  I understand from browsing this forum that several other ThinkPad and IdeaPad customers have expressed their disappointment at their own experiences with these poorly affixed chrome emblems.

In January, I contacted technical support to obtain a replacement for either the 'e' decal or the entire chrome 'Lenovo' emblem.  I was told by a support technician that because replacement decals are not kept in stock by Lenovo, I would need to mail in my laptop to a service depot so that the lid could be replaced, a service which would take up to several weeks turn around time to complete.  I was further informed that this replacement would not be covered under the warranty because Lenovo considers damage to the emblem to be cosmetic and, consequently, not covered by the warranty.  I did not contest the technician's reading of the warranty agreement because I am not interested in losing access to my computer for several weeks in order to repair a mere missing decal, no matter how ridiculous it may make my computer appear.

However, I would respectfully ask that Lenovo reconsider its policy of not keeping replacement decals in stock to send out to customers as needed, particularly in light of the apparent susceptibly of ThinkPads that feature this design element to the type of cosmetic damage that I have described.

Would someone from your company please respond to this post as soon as possible with a proposed solution and contact information so that Lenovo might rectify the concerns that both I and others have expressed?  I'm certain that any prospective customers browing these forums as they consider purchasing a ThinkPad would also be interested to know not only that Lenovo takes this issue seriously, but that they will have some recourse if and when similar damage occurs to their ThinkPad series laptops.

Thank you.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Punch Card
Ph03nix95

Re: Replacement Emblem?

[ Edited ]

I am also very interested in this. I was aware of this problem on some lenovo laptops (specifically the Lenovo s10e) which I actually had and I experienced this problem. but that was a work laptop and I got the cover replaced through work and interestingly enough I don't seem to have the problem anymore. I got the thinkpad edge e420 a month ago, and sometimes when I do just clean/clear dust off the top cover with a microfiber cloth, it does seem to sort of get caught on the 'e'. I do try and not to use a cloth or anything that might get caught on it but I wouldn't be surprised if something accidentally did get caught on it and the e came off. 

So, it is really saddening that Lenovo doesn't consider this a warranty issue and you would have to pay money to get this fixed. While obviously them just sending the replacement emblems/decals would be better, even if they would replace it for free when we sent it in, that would be somewhat acceptable. I don't see how this could possibly be a good thing for Lenovo, if anything it makes the Laptop look cheap/poorly built which it is not overall and I'm sure it's not the message Lenovo want to be sending out. 

Paper Tape
skrohn86

I have this exact same problem on my Thinkpad T420 that I purchased only 2 months ago. It is also my "e" that had come off. Any way to get a replacement "e" or logo Lenovo?

Blue Screen Again
mpmcquinn

Over a month and a half later and we're still waiting for an answer...

Paper Tape
AllRadioisDead

I'd like to know as well, does anyone know where we can find replacement stickers?

Serial Port
newuser222

Has anything come of this? I've had this computer for a mere 4 months and my "e" is coming off too. Kind of disappointing for a new computer.

Blue Screen Again
mpmcquinn

Nope, Lenovo seems not to care.

Serial Port
newuser222

Does anyone know where to find these sticker? I checked ebay but they don't have the right size. The e420 one is about 10x61 mm.

What's DOS?
spiney

I have just had the same problem with a recent purchase of a refurbished T420 i.e.. missing e from the silver Lenovo decal on the cover of the screen. On searching the web  for a replacement, I came across this posting to the Lenovo community forum. It seems as though this not an uncommon problem which Lenovo should address by making spares available for the consumer to affix themselves.

802.11n
CharlyAR

I believe this would be easier... http://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-/31534/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lenovo+logo

If I helped you, please give me some kudos! ^^