Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
wildik42

S430 with 16GB SSD - how to enable caching on SSD?

Hello,

I got new Thinkpad Edge S430 which is equipped with 16GB SSD and 500GB HDD. I suppose, this SSD should be used for caching (Inter Smart Response Technology). Is it right?

But, it seems in default Windows 7 installation is not 16GB SSD configured. I see this disk as standalone and not formatted in Disk Manager. There is not also any Intel utility to configure the caching.

As I checked some forums, to configure Intel SRT, the SATA controller must be switched to RAID mode in BIOS, but on the S430 I can select only AHCI and Compatible mode.

Any idea how to configure SSD as cache on S430?

Thank in advance.

Vilem

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: S430 with 16GB SSD - how to enable caching on SSD?

Lenovo does not use the Intel caching software.  Instead we use ExpressCache (by Diskeeper).  The SSD should have a single partition on it, but no drive letter.

Check to see if you have "ExpressCache" installed in Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features.

Paper Tape
wildik42

Hello,
Thank you very much for your reply. I have also find later there is ExpressCache instead of Intel.

I can confirm I see one primary partition with no drive letter on the SSD disk now (may be after restart).

But I have no ExpressCache software installed - it is not listed in Programs and Features. I also tried to search "ExpressCache" string, and nothing. As I found on some forum the ExpressCache software is not pre-installed by default - check

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thinkpad-edge-x1-x100e-x120e-sl-l/670673-expresscache.html

Could you please provide me the software, or is there any other way how to find out if the caching is enabled?

Thanks a lot for help.
Vilem
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

wildik42,

I'm surprised to hear that ExpressCache is not preinstalled on your system, and now I'm wondering if a mistake was made at the Lenovo factory.  I would like to investigate this.  Can you please tell me what your system model is?  You can find this information by running "System Information" from the start menu, and "System Model" will be listed in the right-hand panel.

Paper Tape
wildik42

System model is 33642HG.

Paper Tape
tkn12

Hi,  

i hope u get ur problem solved soon, but since u had hopefully some time to testing now, can u say something about the batterie life with enabled wifi ?? I'm really looking foreward for this Modell.. :smileywink:

Thx 

Paper Tape
nw2372

Neither on my E530

ExpressCache not installed on my E530 either (but after some research, I found the installer in C:\SWTOOLS\apps\ExpressCache)

(E530 with lenovo-installed SSD)

Paper Tape
wildik42

Re: Neither on my E530

Unfortunately, there is no ExpressCache application nowhere in the C:\SWTOOLS folder on my S430 :-(. But thanks for the hint.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]

wildik42,

Please send me the "modules.log" file from the "c:\swtools" folder.   The file is probably hidden so please unhide it as follows:

1.  open an explorer window to c:\swtools

2.  press and release the "Alt" button show the menu

3.  from the "tools" menu, click on "folder options..."

4.  click on the "view" tab

5.  find the option for "show hidden files, folders, and drives" and select it

6.  click OK

Now you should see "modules.log", would you please e-mail it to me    lenovoforums@yahoo.com

Paper Tape
wildik42

Hi someotherguy,

I sent the modules.log to your e-mail. If you need anything else, let me know. But to solve my issue, could you please provide me the ExpressCache software licensed for my laptop?

Thank you in advance.

Vilem