Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
think_zen
Accepted Solution

ThinkPad Edge 14 BDC-2 install?

I'd like to install a bluetooth card in my 0578-N8U to free up a USB port from a mouse dongle... looking at the Thinkpad Hardware Maintenance Manual, I'm wondering if there would be any issues if I were to source and install the BDC-2?

If no issues, would Lenovo be able to confirm a P/N or model # for the compatible card?  Thanks!

Paper Tape
think_zen

Re: ThinkPad Edge 14 BDC-2 install?

Here's the link to the Hardware Maintenance Manual which I was referencing in my initial query:

BDC-2 removal & installation

After some more digging around, I came across this info from thinkwiki which provides FRU P/Ns but does not specify which model for the Edge 14:

ThinkPad Bluetooth Daughter Card (BDC-2)

... not sure how accurate this info is though.  Hoping Lenovo support can verify no whitelist issues if I attempt the install?

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

On page 156-157 on your hardware maintenance manual are the 2 part numbers and the models that they fit.  It looks to me that both part numbers will fit all the models. You might want to look up your model there in the list.  

That card is a BDC-2.1 actually.  Just make sure that when you get one that it has an FRU number so you know it's Lenovo branded.  No sense in playing games with the whitelist.  I've switched bluetooth cards between older models of Thinkpads with no problems, but I'm not too sure about the newer ones.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
think_zen

Dave, thanks for pointing out those pages, helps to narrow this down.  Since you've had success in switching cards betw models I'm going to see if I can find one of these cards for a reasonable price... I'll post an update when I've got this working.

Regards

Joe

Paper Tape
think_zen

Finally had a chance to complete this project... I ended up sourcing a new BDC card (FRU 60y3199).  Although the details in the hardware maintenance manual were a bit off e.g. manual indicated 5 screws but there were only 4 on my model, the installation took maybe 20min. 

I turned the card on via F9 after which Win7 automatically installed the required driver(s).  So far I've been able to pair up and use a wireless keyboard, send my contacts list from my mobile phone to the Edge 14, and send a small text file from my XP netbook.  No issues to report, and overall quite satisfied w/ the results.  I took a few before/after snapshots and close up of the card seated on the board and can send links to the pics if anyone's interested...

Regards

Joe

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

Thanks for posting back your results.  I'm sure this will help other members.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество