Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Whalensdad

ThinkPad Twist Battery Life

I'm pretty disgusted with the battery life with my Twist. It's advertsied for "up to 7 hrs". I don't expect the full 7 but at least 5 1/2 would be nice. I'm only getting 4 hrs out of it. I contacted Staples and they tried to tell me that it was because I had wifi on and my screen set at 70% brightness. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there anything I can do to improve the battery life?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: ThinkPad Twist Battery Life

7 hours battery time is probably with 40% screen brightness and SSD installed.

When i tested the pre-production model, i was getting around 5 hours on 50% brightness and just internet browsing.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
marcbollinger

I'm also having terrible battery life with the twist - even after installing the Lenovo Power Management Driver.

I'm seeing about 3 hours of battery life with 50% brightness and normal use (browsing the web, answering email, etc.)

At the moment, I'm at 70% brightness and copying some files to a USB2 drive, and it's showing 52% left and "49 minutes"
Punch Card
mdifilm

[ Edited ]

Same here. Having brightness set about 25-30% and battery life is about 3.12hr... It's ridiculous when advertisement said up to 7 hrs and I was at least hoping to get up to 5. Any other methods to this ore battery life? Maybe Lenovo would get discounts code for us to yup grade to SSD...

i am tired of switching between the Twist and IPad while doing work in remote areas...

Fanfold Paper
djklmnop

[ Edited ]

Battery Capacity 43,080 mWh

Battery Consumption: Aprrox 8,215 mW -- Power Saver, Minimum CPU 0%, Max CPU 0%, Brightness: 20%

40,000mWh/8,000mw=5 hours. How the heck are they getting 7 hours? It's not even technically possible according to BatteryBar. 

Fanfold Paper
marcbollinger

Maybe it's plugged in for the last 2 hours <g>

Anyway, I really hope this gets solved soon - or it's sadly going back to the store. 2.5 hours of battery life is so last decade. :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
djklmnop

Given the battery capacity, there's no way it can do 7 hours realistically unless you have the screen turned off and you're only playing MP3s.

It's strange that Lenovo's 4-cell battery capacity for the Lenovo Twist is 43,000 mWh, while on the Lenovo Yoga it's 4-cell battery capacity is 54,000 mWh.

The lowest consumption I've seen from the Ivy Bridge processor is around 6 watts (6,000 wH), and thats probably where Lenovo got the 7 hour figure.  For real business use and some brightness on the screen, you're consuming around 9 - 12 watts.

Fanfold Paper
marcbollinger

Are there any good tools for measuring current power drain?
Paper Tape
AlanLV

I am going to return mine - Loved it but cant get 3 hours out of it. How can they call this a ultrabook - ultra little battery life. What happens in 2 years when it only holds a one hour charge??
Punch Card
mdifilm

Would anyone from Lenovo chime in to tell us what can we do to get more than 3.5 hours with the i5 500gb hard drive twist version? or do we REALLY need to get the SSD version? and how much extra time do we get with the SSD version?