Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
alex5723

Thinkpad E520 installing mSATA

Hi,

I just orders a Micron RealSSD C400 SSD 128GB for my E520.

I was starting to think how to move my Windows 7 64 OS and data from the current C drive on the hard-disk to the new SSD drive.

At first I thought just to use a copy C partition (using Easeus Partition Maste) to the SSD and than change drive letters, but then, I rememberd that Lenovo installs a SYSTEM_DRV partition  size ~1GB with drive letter * that can't be copied.

Will it be a problem the leave the current *:smileyfrustrated:YSTEM_DRV on the hard disk and just copy C: drive to the SSD ? or should the SYSTEM_DRV partition reside on the same drive a C: partition. Will it slow down startup process ?

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Thinkpad E520 installing mSATA

Hello alex5723 and welcome to community,

As I understand you want to get the Operating System installation on SSD.

Please refer to the mentioned below web link and check.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_SG/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=12870415982811 

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Token Ring
alex5723

Tanuj

Thanks, but I don't want to reinstall Windows 7 , just to copy both SYSTEM_DRV and C: partition from the current HDD to the SSD and switching SSD to boot drive. SYSTEM_DRV should remain hidden with no drive letter on the SSD.

Old HDD will be converted to D: drive for data.

regards,

Alex

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Hi Alex,

I think this cannot be done and then it will not give the optimal performance which should be there.

I suggest you to reinstall the Windows to get the good performance and have managed system.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Token Ring
alex5723

Thanks.

I won't in any case re-install Windows, re-install all patches, re-install E520 updates and all aplications, re-cofigure Windows 7....

If it can't be done, I'll cancel my purchase, although I read somewhere that can be done in the following way :

Copy partitions system_drv and C: to the SSD.

Remove HDD.

Boot from SSD.

Shut down.

Re-install HDD.

restart (from SSD).

This, according to the post should work.

Token Ring
alex5723

Tanuj

p.s

My E520 doesn't have the sticker with RapidDrive support.

RapidDrive application is dated 2010.

Lenovo advices on 01.2012 to uninstall RapidDrive Advanced due to bugs :

Lenovo has discovered issues with RapidDrive Advanced software that may result in files being moved from one drive to another drive without permission or knowledge. As a result, Lenovo recommends uninstalling the RapidDrive Advanced
software at this time. Lenovo has provided this tool to help you uninstall the RapidDrive Advanced.

Note:
- If the RapidDrive Advanced is installed in your system, the tool confirms if the RapidDrive Advanced has been activated or not. If not activated, the tool uninstalls the RapidDrive Advanced. If activated, the tool guides you to Lenovo users' forums for more information.
- The tool does not affect any system without RapidDrive Advanced installed.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS025404