Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991
Accepted Solution

Thinkpad Edge 14 CPU Problem

Hey

So I've had my Thinkpad Edge 14 since the end of last summer.  I keep putting this off but now it has gotten to the point where I am sick of it.  Here is my problem:

I plug my Thinkpad Edge 14 into the charger, which is obviously plugged into an outlet.  Usually it's while the system is still running but lately I've tried shutting it down first.  Now, about 1-2 minutes after I plug the laptop in, the CPU starts to FREAK OUT.  I have Rainmeter set up so I can keep track of my CPU/RAM/network and such.  So my little graph of my CPU starts to spike and it goes from 0% -> 26% -> 0% -> 78% -> 100% ->0% and so on and so forth.  This doesn't happen over time, this happens constantly.  The CPU just keeps jumping and dropping.  This kills my performance.  Everything becomes jumpy and slow.  Opening a folder or my browser (which should take 2 seconds, if that) now takes about a minute.  Before, I was able to just turn off my laptop and turn it back on, no problems.  Now, I turn it off and turn it on 3-4 times and it is still jumping so I just let it sit there till the machine is charged.  I've gotten into the habit of just charging it overnight just so I don't have to deal with it in the morning.  I haven't a clue what is wrong or how to stop it.  This also has nothing to do with going to the Task Manager and ending a few processes.  I've tried and it does nothing.

I'm hoping that somebody will be able to help me with this problem because I have not seen it any where.  I've looked through Lenovo's website and have gotten nothing.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 351
Solutions: 235

Re: Thinkpad Edge 14 CPU Problem

[ Edited ]

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7326

Are you sure it's not your rainmeter skin that's doing it?

Are you up to date on windows updates?

Are there any new bios updates for your machine?  

Are you using windows power manager or Lenovo's power manager?

You could try setting your power options so they're the same on ac as well as battery and see if it still does it.

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991

You know, I never even thought about it actually being rainmeter. I'll kill rainmeter and give it a try. 

Window's updates are completely up to date for sure.  

And BIOS is up to date.

I like Lenovo's power manager so that's what I use to set my power settings.  Granted, you can't totally use one or the other, it is a little of both but in general the Lenovo power manager is what I use.  RIght now my setting is power source optimized.  I'll make changes and have both battery and AC power settings the same and see if that helps.

Thank you.

topmahof

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-74581.html

Here's another thing, you say you've had this since the end of summer.  Did you get the battery firmware update dated Sept?

Down towards the bottom of the list. 

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991

Honestly, nothing has helped.  I have completely wiped my laptop, reinstalled windows 7 professional and only installing the drivers that I need (no extras like rainmeter or vlc or winamp or anything whatsoever).  The computer still does it and now its somewhat worse.  I have to restart my laptop upwards of 4 times before the CPU stops jumping while plugged in.  I have put in a formal service request with IBM to see what they have to say with this issue.

Thanks for the help.

topmahof

Sure, let me know how you make out. Hopefully they can duplicate your problem.  How about virus protection. Does it still do it if it is disabled. What do you use?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991

I just have Microsoft Security Essentials.  I haven't found anything that links the two together, CPU problems with the anti-virus. 

I should be getting a box on Monday and shipping my laptop in for them to take a look at it.  I believe the service rep said they would most likely be replacing the motherboard or cpu or both.  We'll see how it turns out.

topmahof

Yeh, you're probably right, mse shouldn't be a problem. That's what I use.  Some of the other ones get a little goofy sometimes.  Let me know what they do, okay?

Guru
ColonelONeill

Maybe check in BIOS under CPU to see if SpeedStep is misconfigured to minimum performance on AC or something?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991

Alrighty well here is what happened.  I sent the laptop to Lenovo, they ran some diagnostics and sent it back without actually doing anything.  I decided to take a look at SpeedStep and it was enabled.  I disabled it and then changed my CPU to be the same settings for Battery and AC.  Now, the CPU still freaks out when I plug it in, but it stops doing it after I restart once now instead of having to restart like 3 - 4 times.

So really, I've found no solution to my problem and Lenovo didn't help.  Thank you though for trying to help me.