Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
anontemp123

Re: Thinkpad Edge 14 CPU Problem

[ Edited ]

I am having this same issue since purchasing my Edge 14. Lenovo really has no idea.

I've read some posts that it may be a power supply issue.  These posts say maybe the power adapter is malfunctioning or maybe you need a 90W adapter even though the system comes with a 65W adapter.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Get Process Explorer from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Launch it, let your system idle, and look for anything taking up random CPU cycles. Pretty much everything should be less than 1% except for maybe Process Explorer itself.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991

Sorry about the amount of time it's taken me to look back at this.  I honestly haven't really used my laptop all summer since I was not in classes or anything anymore.

I know what processes are using up that extra CPU.  I don't remember off the top of my head but I know that it is nothing that I have installed because I'm having this issue even when I start from a fresh Windows 7 image.  I still have yet to try this in Linux to see if it is just the OS or some hardware issue.  I will still download Process Explorer and see what I can find from that and hopefully that can shed some light on my problem.

anontemp123: I never thought about trying that before.  I will have to find a different power supply and see if I can replicate the problem with a different power supply.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
apples3991

I actually got to use a 90 W power supply today instead of the 65W that I was using and I seem to be having no issues anymore.  I'm going to assume that that was it.  Now hopefully I can find a 90W that isn't too expensive or talk with Lenovo about recieveing one.

Thanks for the help!

What's DOS?
aztease

I also have the same issue with my Edge 14 I purchased in september 2010.   when the windows logo appears it starts to freak out looks like scrambled tv signal.  I have not tried to have this looked at becuase I have not been very happy with this computer and want to get a different brand. 

you are not crazy and Lenovo needs to look further into this issue for you.