Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
vahidg67

Thinkpad Edge 15" freezes randomly

Hello

I bought a thinkpad Edge 15" last year and It worked just fine for one year (I usually use it about 5-10 hourse a day).

configuration:

CPU: Core i5 M430 @ 2.27GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1066 (macron chips)

VGA: ATi Radeon HD 4500

HDD: 500GB 7200rpm

now I'm faceing with a really strange problem which made me ask here. It is about 10days that my Laptop freezes with no reason. sometimes it work fine houres and houres without any problem, and sometimes it freezes a lot. sometimes when it freeze i turn it off by power button and when i want to turn it on it shows just a black screen and the fan's speed goes high and restart automatically.

I have win7 64bit and ubuntu 11.04 (I'm not sure). if there weren't any freeze and stall in ubuntu I would get sure that it's windows and maybe driver problem, but the same problem happens in ubuntu. :smileysad:

I also used ThinkVantage Toolbox to test my system and the result was the same. one time it freezes while I was testing CPU, the other time It happened in Graphic test. but most of the time while I was testing the Memory it freezed in different steps of test.

I also used memtest86 in grub screen but it never finished.

I play games like MW2 and my notebook gets hot but it never caused any reset or thermal shutdown.

I'm really sad with this condition and need your help.

thanks in advance

Blue Screen Again
vahidg67

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15" freezes randomly

thanks everybody for your responses.

I would never ask any Question here... sorry for registering in this forum

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 322
Solutions: 223

vahidg67,

Sorry for the lack of response, but it sounds to me like a hardware problem. (probably the same to everybody else).

Do you have any other ram you could test with?

You say it gets hot, how hot?  Do the vents look clear or do you see dust in there?  

You could try reseating the ram chip or chips.  Do you have 1 stick of 4GB or 2 sticks of 2 GB?  If 2 sticks, try taking out one at a time and see if it works.  If just one, either reseat it or try with another stick if you have one.

Check in windows event log and see if there are any errors there. That might give you a clue as to what's happening.

Post  back with any updates.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Blue Screen Again
vahidg67

Hi Dave

Thanks for your answer. I managed to solve the problem, but in the worst way. whenever it begins to freeze I tap on the back many times, after that it gets better.

I guess it is a physical issue like loosenss of GPU, CPU, RAMs or other sockets which also depends on temprature.

I thought it was the ATi 5145 problem as it's an overclocked GPU, but it freezed even when I've had scaled down the clock.

If you get some cues on this kind of problem, I will be glad to get your guidance.

Thanks in advance

Vahid

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 322
Solutions: 223

Yeh, it sounds like hardware, especially if it works better when you tap on it.

Your cheapest way out would be to try to get a post warranty, warranty. Call service and see if you can  get it. It's a basic warranty, you would probably have to send it in at your cost. 

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Blue Screen Again
vahidg67

Thanks alot

If it starts to bother me again, I'll obey your advice.

Vahid