Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
shahal
Accepted Solution

Thinkpad Edge AMD Touchpad sometime work and sometime won´t

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I am experiencing issues with my touchpad on my Thinkpad Edge AMD with 4 GB Ram.

Sometimes the touchpad will work and sometimes it will not respond.  When I restart the computer, it will work but not for long.  I have the up-to-date drivers which came with the machine.  I just received my machine 2 days ago.

Please help.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

Re: Touchpad

Shahal,

Maybe you can tell us a bit more ?   When you first start up, does the touchpad work?  How about the trackpoint?

Are the times when it does not respond seem totally random, or perhaps in association with certain programs, tasks, or length of time since start up?

At times where the touchpad doesn't respond, do it's click buttons still work?

Does changing the sensitivity settings make any difference?

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
shahal

Thank you for your reply. The trackpoint always works. The touchpad becomes unresponsive after 15-30 minutes after login and of activity. The click buttons do work while the touchpad is unresponsive. I have tried various sensitivity levels but no go. When I restart the laptop it works for awhile after.
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

shahal,

Hmm.. That's kind of strange.  I'm not sure what to suggest other than a few tests, mostly out of curiosity...

I was wondering if this was temperature related?  So if you start from a cold system (sitting off over night), check your watch and time how long it works before not detecting touch any more.  Is it still 15-30 mins?   If you restart the laptop and it works again for a while - same general amount of time before failing, then I don't think it is temperature.   If it is though, you should be able to call service and order a replacement part, or get the system serviced.

If time to stop working is random, and not repeatable in time from a cold start, then it could still be hardware, or it could be some set of events that are wacking out the driver.  See if there is a particular application, or task that is common and precipitates the touchpad no longer responding.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
hcbolton

I am having the same problem (Edge AMD) after about 15 minutes the trackpad  stops responding, however its buttons still function and sometimes it will recognise a couple of taps to come out of low energy mode. The laptop does not feel hot to touch, and the fan is fairly quiet, blowing a little warm air.

Howard

Thinkpad Edge AMD (01972NG)
Fanfold Paper
derekwilliams

I have only experienced this issue twice, it appears to be completely random.  This is on the AMD version.

I have shut it down, restarted it, had it in sleep for a while, hibernate for a while.  Nothing specific could reproduce it, the first time happened randomly during regular use, the second happaned right at login.

From my experience it seems to be the multi-touch.  It seems to keep a virtual finger "stuck" to it, when you move one finger over it the zoom icon flickers off and on as if you were attempting to use multi-touch zoom.  The cursor stays in place and cannot be moved by the trackpad because it thinks you ar attempting to use multi touch even though you are not.

Issue has always been resolved with a simple restart.

Fanfold Paper
Edge13Fan

I did encounter this problem quite a few times since getting my unit. The trackpoint works perfectly, but the touchpad sometimes, doesn't seem to be functioning at all. It's sorta like getting stuck for about a second or 2 and then it goes back to normal. Sometimes, it randomly happens, but more so during times of heavy CPU usage, it could possibly be CPU related, maybe it's too slow to react, or maybe a driver issue .If the touchpad doesn't work, try using the trackpoint, it works all the time.

What's DOS?
myko

Hello,

I also experience problems with my touchpad. Even after re-installation of  the driver and system update the problems still persist.

I wonder if there are some problems concernig the hardware that requires checkup.

Thank´s for your help.

What's DOS?
hyd123

I just received my laptop... And I am facing the same issue.

My pointer gets stuck sometimes... it's so irritating.

Please advice how can I return the laptop.

Thanks

Farooq

Paper Tape
jean_f

Hi,

I have the same problem.

Touchpad freezes, the tracker works fine.

Been using MS Office 2007 when it happens.

Has happened a total of 5 times during a 1½ month period. The touchpad freezes for a couple of minutes.

1 of the times I had to reboot the computer to get it working again.

I have the AMD version with Windows 7 professional.

Thanks,

Jean