Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Eaglehorn

Re: Touchpad

[ Edited ]

• Model : Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13, NUD2MED
  • BIOS version (Latest?) : Yes, 6YET31WW (1.14)
  • OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit) : Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
  • Lenovo default OS? : Yes
  • Issue happen on Battery / AC / Both? : Yes
  • Updates from TVSU completed? : Yes
  • Updates from Windows Updates? : Yes
  • Power Manager Version : 3.25
  • Power Management Driver : Unknown
  • Touchpad version driver installed : 15.0.18.0
  • RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?) : 2 x 2 gb
  • Any error notification before issue occured? : No
  • 3rd party application installed before issue happen? : No
  • Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises? : No
  • Running on battery? AC? Docked on station? : Issue appears while running on battery and also on AC - I do not have a dock
  • Additional comments which you think might help.
  •  

I've had my Edge 13 for about a week now, and I have been struggeling with a touchpad that at times appears to be having trouble responding to my gestures. I noticed this issue the very first time I booted my thinkpad. I didnt think much of it at the time, expecting that I just had to get used to working with a laptop. Obviously I've updated all software on the laptop (windows and lenovo) - The machine is still "as delivered" - I havent installed any 3rd party applications yet - As the issue persisted, and I didnt improve my touchpad experience, I checked out this forum in search for a known-issue thread - I expect this to be it.

The problem I am having can best be described as sporadic - There are 2 symptoms - I havent been able to find any pattern or fool proof way to provoke the issue other than just moving the cursor around

1)  Once I place a finger on the touchpad and gain the cursors attention it will move without problem (even if a fair bit inacurate - Place your finger at the center of the touchpad and move it continously in a circle, and then watch the cursor slowly work its way off the screen - Something appears not to be calibrated properly?)

2) Another problem is the touchpads ability to read 100% of my touches. Often it will somehow fail to register my touch, and thus not move the cursor until I repeat the gesture.

I've tweaked the UltraNav Driver to gain maximum sensitivity thinking this could be a solution - Sadly it wasnt.

Suggestions are welcome - Should I contact my dealer for a replacement unit, or Lenovo for support? - As it is, this behavior of the touchpad is unacceptable to me.

Thanks 

//Eaglehorn

Fanfold Paper
    chauhanvineet

@Eaglehorn,

They  rolled out the new drivers for the touchpoint + tracpoint on 27th July. You should install the same.

I am doing right now and would post my feedback on it very soon.

Vineet

Fanfold Paper
    chauhanvineet

Download the latest driver from here and see if its gets a little better :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-74581.html

Blue Screen Again
    bodsham

[ Edited ]

This update is only for the 14 inch Edge. Doesn't seem to be a new driver for my 13 inch model.

Punch Card
    Eaglehorn

@chauhanvineet

According to the thinkpad software update tool I appear to be running the current version for the touchpad, exactly as bodsham says.

Maybe there's an update on the way for Edge 13 aswell?

//Eaglehorn

Paper Tape
    mschwenk

Re: Trackpad temporarily frozen when resuming from sleep

I am having this exact same issue on my T510. I recieved it on 8/2 and it has the most up to date drivers. One of the Synaptics processes gets "stuck" and takes up about 25% processor usage. During this time the Trackpad fails to function and I cannot access the mouse settings. Halting the process causes the trackpad to function again. This does not appear to be a Thinkpad Edge issue, but possibly a global issue.

Serial Port
    Bruce443

Hi.  I'm now having the same problem with a T410.  And it only started after I installed the latest driver.

Here's what happens:  When I come back from sleep, the trackpad works, until I start using Firefox.  Then it freezes.  The trackpoint still works, but the pad is dead, and nothing happens if I click on the touchpad icon in the task bar.

At this point, the only solution is to restart the computer, and everything works again.

Any suggestions?

My T410 is running Win 7, with discreet graphics. 

Serial Port
    erehsines

@Bruce443
    To avoid restarting, try opening task manager when the pad fails and check for the process 'SynTPEnh.exe'
    That is the processes that freezes and runs on max single cpu for me. If it looks like it's the problem, end it, and to regain multitouch functionality just reopen it:
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    otherwise, it seems like lowering the palm touch sensitivity (away from the read region) helps me.
    If any of these help, please report back.
    Good luck.

Serial Port
    Bruce443

Thanks for the quick response!  I'll try this next time it happens, and let you know how it works out. 

Serial Port
    erehsines

UPDATE 2: I can reliably (hah) make this bug happen on firefox by scrolling up and down using the Track Point + middle click to scroll while messing around on the touchpad using two fingers (swirling around using them, whatever to give the touchpad multitouch input that is sort of a normal gesture). btw, I cannot get this to happen (at least in a minute, I was not patient enough to keep trying) when palm check is not set to maximum.
    This is especially easy to replicate when scrolling on long webpages. Also, when it freezes while I'm doing this, I also lose Track Point functionality. This seems to only happen on firefox. Boh Chrome and IE display a scrolling icon when I scroll, while firefox does not. On firefox whatever driver they use seems  to have this functionality(?) where if I am using the TrackPoint to scroll, and do a scroll on the touchpad, I think they fight for control.
    Although this might be a wholly seperate bug from the one I experienced previously, it is still causing the process I mentioned earlier to freeze and take up max cpu. And it seems to also be related to the palm check feature.