Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
erehsines

Re: Touchpad

Drum wrote:

I am having similar problems with my 2 month old Edge 13 (along with screen and wireless problems). The touchpad ‘freezes’ every few seconds and then responds again, then freezes again etc etc

Actually Drum, I don't think your problems are related to the one in th is thread. You might actually want a technician to look at yours. If other people can't use your touchpad, and the other input devicse are working fine, then it could actually be the hardware.

Paper Tape
amitoza88

Re: Touchpad

Is anyone from Lenovo tracking this? Or we are advised to directly contact the nearest service centre?

Please reply ASAP.

Punch Card
kamui

Solved all touchpad problems by installing Synaptics reference driver

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I experienced similar problems as described in this thread (intermittent dropouts / freezes of the touchpad, especially vertical scroll was almost impossible to use). The problems seemed to be a Windows driver issue, since the touchpad worked perfectly in my parallel Ubuntu 10.04 Linux installation. 

However, I was able to solve the problem by

1. uninstalling the Lenvo UltraNav driver and

2. installing the

Synaptics Reference Driver v14.0.3

Download on Synaptics Website

3. After installation, Windows Update will notify of a new touchpad driver update being available. Do not install this update for now, since it will bring back the original problems again (I tried that already).

To aid in debugging this issue, here is my reply to the questions as requested:

1. Machine Brand (eg. ThinkPad Edge 13, 14, or 15): Edge 13
  2. Machine Type Model (e.g. 0197-RZ6): 0196-2EG
  3. Operating System (e.g. Win 7 Pro 64bit): Win 7 Pro 64bit + Ubuntu 10.04
  4. Bios version (can check it out by going into BIOS during system startup): 6YET32WW (1.15)
  5. How long has the machine been turned on before the issue started to happen? Issues happen immediately after booting system.
  6. What were you doing or what programs were running before the issue happened? Touchpad freezes while scrolling / intermittent mouse pointer movement experienced in all programs.
  7. How you temporarily fix it? By system reboot? Or turn system to sleep and wake up later? Permanently fixed problems by installing Synaptics reference driver as described above. No issues experienced under Ubuntu Linux 10.04.

(BTW: Since I also have the audio output problems (EMI noise) on the headphone jack, I will write about my workarround for that issue in the other thread ...)

Paper Tape
amitoza88

Re: Solved all touchpad problems by installing Synaptics reference driver

Hey!!! It worked for me..!!! Didnt face any glitch as of now. Hope this is a permanent solution and the problem doesnt creep up again. :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
bodsham

trouble is this is going to have to be repeated with every update - turning off the option. Lenovo should fix the problem at source
Punch Card
kamui

Good to hear it works for others too.

bodsham wrote:
trouble is this is going to have to be repeated with every update - turning off the option. Lenovo should fix the problem at source

In Windows 7 just go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Select updates to install", right click the driver update and choose "Hide Update". This will hide further notifications, at least for this version of the driver update.

I hope Lenovo will find the source of this problem to fix their own drivers. In fact all they have to do is take the reference driver and rename it "Lenovo UltraNav" :smileywink:

Blue Screen Again
bodsham

Thanks for that. When I try to uninstall the Lenovo driver it says I need to restart to complete. When I restart it just reinstalls the same driver again

Punch Card
kamui

bodsham wrote:

Thanks for that. When I try to uninstall the Lenovo driver it says I need to restart to complete. When I restart it just reinstalls the same driver again

Sounds to me like you are trying to uninstall something manually in "Device Manager"?

This should not be necessary. The reason I wrote "uninstall UltraNav" is, because the Syncaptics driver refused to install when it detected a Lenovo UltraNav installation with a higher version number. In that case, just go to "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" and uninstall the UltraNav package there. After that, the Synaptics driver should allow installation. If you restart or not should not make a difference.

Have you tried launching the Synaptics installer? If it does not give you an error message, you don't even have to worry about uninstalling anything at all.

Paper Tape
amitoza88

Try uninstalling from Control Panel. The system may restart a couple of times. Dont worry abt that. :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
bodsham

Sorry - thought I'd posted this - yes it worked fine once I uninstalled from the control panel