Support in other languages: 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: Solved all touchpad problems by installing Synaptics reference driver

Hi All,

Kindly try to disable the multi-touch feature on the TrackPad and see if the issue still persist. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Blue Screen Again
bodsham

Trouble is... in order to try this you have to go back and reinstall the bad driver. I've been wasting time with this since buying this machine in April. I don't have time to do R&D for Lenovo any more. Can't a Lenovo staff member work on this problem instead of leaving it to customers? Also didn't someone in this very long saga try all these options before - and find they didn't work. 

The generic driver works fine on all fronts as far as I can see. Perhaps Lenovo should simply adopt that one.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi bodsham,

I understand your frustration, engineering have tried using the Edge on their end however they weren't able to replicate the issue faced by users. However they mentioned that the touchpad is sensitive when the fingers accidentally touch the side of the touchpad causing it to be unresponsive. Therefore they have requested to disable the multitouch and see if it helps.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Blue Screen Again
bodsham

I really don't think that's the issue. With your current driver the touchpad isn't unresponsive. It stops working altogether. 

Punch Card
kamui

[ Edited ]

JameZ,

I decided to give the current UltraNav version another try.

After installation, pointer movement was smooth and without any freezes. However, vertical scroll still worked only 2 out of 3 times. The rest resulted in unintended mouse pointer movement. As suggested, I disabled all multitouch settings one after each other and later all at once (including two finger scrolling, application gestures and gesture filtering). This did not help. But after turning off "Scrolling Region Filtering", the problem was gone. After several minutes of testing I have a 100% success rate now!

So it seems, with the current Lenovo driver version my initial problems are gone! When I turn off "Scrolling Region Filtering", scrolling finally works properly too. :smileyhappy: This filter, which is hidden under "Smart Check Settings", is obviously too agressive and should stay off on default.

@Bodsham: Maybe you want to give it another try too. If the driver still does not work for you, our issues were probably unrelated.

Fanfold Paper
dhardie

Ive tried Kamuis recommendation by first setting the UltraNav settings to default, unfortunately Im experiencing the same touchpad issues as before.

Retired Employee
JameZ

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Interesting find kamui, will cascade your find to engineering. In another note you mentioned that "I decided to give the current UltraNav version another try" ... Do you mean that you are currently using the UltraNav 15.0.18.0 from Lenovo site?

dhardie,

By changing the settings to default does not "uncheck" the Scrolling Region Filtering as mentioned by kamui. You would have to uncheck it manually.

Attached a screenshot for everyone's perusal if you can't find the "Scrolling Regions Filtering".

ScreenShot077.jpg

//JameZ

Edit comment - add additional info.

Punch Card
kamui

Hello JameZ,

Yes, I was referring to version 15.0.18.0 (2 Jul 2010). I am still using it and have no further problems anymore.

Before I changed to the Synaptics driver in the first place, the touchpad was sometimes "sticky" and did not take all inputs as intended. But my main problem has always been vertical scroll. All this disappeared with the Synaptics reference driver. With version 15.0.18.0. of the Lenovo driver (and without Scrolling Region Filtering), everything works fine now, so I have no reason to go back to the Synaptics driver anymore.

However, what worked for me may or may not help others. If other users are still seeing problems, it might be worth to try and disable other input filters too. But I can understand those who are happy with the Synaptics driver and don't want to touch it anymore.

Fanfold Paper
dhardie

Jamez, that's what I did, but "first" I set the setting to default as I had tried lots of different setting before hand & wanted to test it with only the Scrolling Region Filtering off.
Paper Tape
eyccheng

Accidentally removed the old touchpad drivers and had to reinstall the latest one, what a mistake!!!

I already hated the last driver with it's over complicated, yet useless features.  Never had i had to use a touchpad that requires so much configuration but still not comfortable to use.  After installing the newest driver, just like many here, my touchpad simply stopped working most of the time.  In the times when it did work, it was unresponsive and jumped from place to place.

Unless this gets fixed soon I am putting up an ad to sell this turd.  First and last lenovo for me, hate to admit, but i think i'll have to go to Apple now, pricy, but at least their stuff WORKS.