06-29-2010 05:43 AM
Thanks for sharing your findings. Let's see if others observe something similar, and if so, then maybe you are on to something we can take a loot at. I agree the issue seems to be software, but since it doesn't seem to occur on all systems and randomly, it is difficultt to just grab a random unit and reproduce.
07-01-2010 10:29 PM
My Lenovo Y510 has this issue as well...in addition to my Edge 14.
Unless they use the same stuff...
It could be just coming from sleep it's starting up pieces of hardware and applying settings that it takes time before it "wakes up" -- so to speak.
I've also noticed that the Edge 14's trackpad isn't terribly accurate, sometimes it will freeze for a brief brief second. Or sometimes double tapping doesnt respond unless done consecutively. Although it could be that my hand just slightly touchs part of the track pad in addition to my fingertip, thus causing it to jump or lock up thinking it's a multi-touch command.
07-07-2010 01:30 PM
This has been happening on my Edge 13 AMD Turion X2 4gb too. Today the trackpade froze completely in the middle of a presentation. Pathetic. Lenovo didn't sell any Thinkpads there. It seems to do with CPU load - I had four apps open at the same time. Should be able to handle that surely?
07-13-2010 10:32 AM
I just got my edge 13 intel eg-196 this friday and i have been having some intermittent dropouts of the trackpad as well.
I am pretty sure that these short little dropouts are caused by multitouch, i havent really had time to explore it too closely but if im moving the curser via the trackpad and tap the trackpad with a second finger it will sometimes freeze the curser while i have the first finger on the trackpad without displaying the white arrow with "+....-" on it.
it moves the cursor again after i lift the finger and resume touching the trackpad. The touchpoint will also reactivate it.
Not good for accidental touches, though its hardly more than annoying.
I dont know about the semi permanent dropout after about 15 minutes people are experiencing havent had that.
What im wondering is if its possible that the trackpad might get stuck in multitouch mode somehow ?
07-19-2010 08:16 AM
I've got the edge 13 and it does exactly the same thing 15 mins max and it stops working, its irritating...Has anyone actually got a fix for this? i've had this notebook 2 months and i'm almost ready to look for another one..
07-21-2010 11:45 PM - edited 07-21-2010 11:49 PM
Appreciate if those who are experiencing this issue could fill in the following "form" so we are able to narrow down this issue and this infomation is useful for our engineers for them to replicate the issue on their end.
Information needed as below.
Reason for Edit: Add to "form"
Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3
07-25-2010 07:53 AM
07-27-2010 02:25 PM
I think I may have solved the trackpad issue to some degree. It seems that when the trackpad isnt working, it actually still is. What I've found is that the scrolling area becomes the regular touchpad input and the area around it is non-functional. If you open the task manager and end task on the synaptics processes, the trackpad suddenly starts working normally (albeit without the advanced features).
Looks like a software fix is required here...
I'm having the same issue on my t410s i saw this post and checked my task manager, and sure enough, one of the synaptics processes was taking up a full cpu. (Also, while my trackpad is unresponsive, I cannot open the synaptics settings, further reinforcing the software issue.) and now that I ended the task I have access to my touch pad again, except no multitouch.
07-27-2010 02:44 PM - edited 08-05-2010 12:15 PM
- Model: t410s
- BIOS version: latest
- OS loaded: Win 7 64bit
- Lenovo default OS? Win 7 64
- Issue happen on Battery / AC / Both: haven't tried it on battery
- Updates from TVSU completed: latest
- Updates from Windows Updates: latest
- Power Manager Version: 3.25
- Power Management Driver: probably latest, i don't see where that is
- Touchpad version driver installed: 184.108.40.206
- RAM installed: 2 x 2gb factory
- Any error notification before issue occured: no
- 3rd party application installed before issue happen?
- Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises: just firefox and chrome
- Running on battery? AC? Docked on station? AC no battery
- Additional comments which you think might help: this started happening after I turned the palm sensitivity all the way up, though, I don't remember what else I did that coinsided with that (I had to turn it all the way up, because I kept moving the mouse with my palm while I type). tapping can still register a click when the pad is frozen to movement, and I cannot open any of the mouse settings. And ending the unresponsive task (C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe which takes one cpu [25% of my i5] during this unresponsive state ) ] in task manager lets me move the mouse again, but i no longer get multitouch, and I just need to start that program again to regain that functionality.
UPDATE: After turning down tha palm sensitivity I have not had a problem with this, althought I am now having problems with my palms moving the courser around when I type, but I guess it's a better than the cursor totally dying.
Also I have not updated my touchpad drivers since initially posting this.