Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
dpkpaints

Trouble using aol on my new ThinkPad Edge 420

I just received my new ThinkPad Edge 420. I went to aol.com to sign in and to check my mail.  I could sign in, but when I went to the mail center to check mail, no mail would display and the cursor would move, but none of the links worked.  I can't access the settings for aol, either.  Any ideas?  I have not had any luck finding this topic in any of the Lenovo help areas. 

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 325
Solutions: 223

Re: Trouble using aol on my new ThinkPad Edge 420

Hi dpkpaints and welcome to the Community,

What browser are you using to bring up aol?

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Blue Screen Again
dpkpaints

Hi, Dave:

I am using Internet Explorer.  Here is a weird twist...I saw another post about a similar problem.  They mentioned some trouble with some pre-installed software on the ThinkPad that seemed to conflict with using the aol website email.  So, just for the heck of it, I deleted the Corel WIN/Dvd software on my laptop.  Suddenly, I am able to open the "check mail" area on aol.com and can check my email, whereas before, none of the links even worked and some didn't even appear.  This did not happen on another computer, so I know the problem was with this laptop and not with their website.  Unfortunately, now I am unable to keep that software.  Not sure if I need it or not, but it is definitely a bug.  Also, whenever I do go to the check mail area, I get a weird little pop-up with a "codec" and the website www.ulead.com. That's how I figured out which software it might be...by going to that website.  However, the annoying little pop-up continues to appear and I can't check email without clicking the "ok" button associated with it.  Kind of a hassle.  I have spent hours and hours trying to figure this all out.  Tech support did have me update my software, but that didn't take care of this issue.

topmahof

dpkpaints,

At least you figured out what was doing it.

I don't know whether the Corel software  is a trial version or what, but it looks like getting rid of it also got rid of the codecs required to play movies. You could test this by playing a dvd and seeing if it plays.

How did you delete the Corel software?  Did you uninstall it from the Control Panel, Programs and Features?  

You might want to go there and see if there is anything related to the Corel software and uninstall it.

To get your codecs back for playing movies, you can install K-lite codecs, that's a free program that I've always used on clean installs to play movies with.  

http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

If you're going to use this, on the download page, use the link on the  upper right.  Be careful clicking on anything else.

The program will give you its own player, if you want the codecs to work with Windows Media player, you have to install the program in the advanced mode. Click enter through all the windows until you get to a window that shows Media Player and Windows Media Player.  Check both boxes so the codecs will be installed for both players.

You'll be able to play movies again and aol should be fine with it.

Dave 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Blue Screen Again
dpkpaints

Thanks for the suggestions, Dave!  I will give that a try.  By the way, what is a "codec"?

Dena

topmahof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

The long answer is at the link, the short answer is codecs are what your video player and audio needs in order to play video and audio.

Windows doesn't automatically provide free codecs, so computer manufacturers sometimes load software into the image in order to play audio and video.  That sounds like that was what Corel was meant to do.

If you install an OS clean, you have to install a codec program to provide  the ability to play movies.

There's a lot of free ones out there.  VLC player, RealPlayer, K-lite, are a few of the free ones that work pretty well.  They all provide their own player for movies, but K-lite also provides the option to use the codec for Windows Media Player, so that will give you two different players for music and video.

Dave

mbs
What's DOS?
mbs

I have the exact same problem.  Shouldn't Lenovo solve this problem for new users?  seems a shame to pay $500+ for a computer and have some "glitch" causing a problem right out of the box! 

topmahof

Hi mbs and welcome to the community,

Yeah, you're right, they probably should.  

I always thought that MS should provide the codecs with the OS.  MS gives you Windows Media Player, but doesn't give you any way to play movies with it. It's been that way as far back as I can remember.

Dave

mbs
What's DOS?
mbs

Doesn't seem as though any of that should effect aol usage.  I really wanted to get a Lenovo since my last 2 laptops were IBM but can't see keeping this (or referring it to anyone else!) when it has a problem working with aol.  I even tried to install aol with a cd I have and that seemed to cause problems so I uninstalled it again.  Do you know how I can contact a Lenovo tech?

topmahof

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/findServiceProvider.page?

Start here and it will bring up a map that will show centers close to you.

Dave