Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Corgana

Turn ON keyboard backlight?

Hi I just got my Edge 14" yesterday, and the keyboard backlight isn't on, does anyone know where the setting is or what the keyboard shortcut is to turn it on?

Thanks in advance!

Punch Card
henk

Re: Turn ON keyboard backlight?

Did you try "Fn + Space"?

Paper Tape
Corgana

Just did- no dice.

Punch Card
henk

[ Edited ]

Are you sure your model has the backlit keyboard on it?

Paper Tape
Corgana

[ Edited ]

The website said all 14 and 15" models have it, I got it custom made from Lenovo and ticked all the "best options" on the list, keyboard backlight was definitley not one of them.

If it is not the case- I'm kinda peeved. That simple feature was one of the selling points for me. I'm leaving for a long buisness trip in a week and don't have time to return this one.

EDIT: Model number 0199CTO, how can I check?

Punch Card
henk

If "Fn + Space" is not working you probably have a model without backlit keyboard:

Fn + Spacebar

(some models)

Some models have a backlit keyboard. To illuminate the keyboard in less than perfect lighting, press and hold the Fn key and press the Spacebar. If you turn on the keyboard illumination and then turn the computer off, put it in sleep or hibernation mode, the keyboard illumination setting is reset of

Off.

Paper Tape
Corgana

[ Edited ]

Well, what the crap Lenovo. I can't find anything on their site that definitively says which models have them and which don't. Like I said- it's not an option when building your own. Thanks for your help henk (even if it just sort of confused me further!)

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Punch Card
danf1970

I had purchased the Thinkpad Edge 14" 0578-26U from Best Buy (which they no longer carry), and it had the backlit keyboard.  It is the ONLY Edge model I have been able to find that has it, either from Lenovo or online retailers selling the Edge.  Not sure why, as it was a very nice feature.  I read someone online complain that the backight was too dim, but I felt it was perfect, you just want enough light to see the keys, not have it super bright and detract from the display.  I loved it, and the backlit keyboard was one of the main reasons I chose that model. 

I ended up returning it though unfortunately due to the random contrast changes to the screen, which are discussed here in the X201 series forum, but the Edge with Intel GMA HD has the very same issue which I could not live with on a brand new computer.  I've wanted to buy another Edge with different graphics card AND the backlit keyboard, but for some reason Lenove doesn't even offer it.  Why not Lenovo?  It is a selling point and should be an option when you select to Customize your Edge when ordering direct.  Seems a shame not to offer the backlit keyboard as an option since it really is a nice feature and would sell more systems.  They shouldn't even advertise the option if you can't get it! 

Paper Tape
Corgana

Great, now I feel bad! I have no Idea why they'd market it that way if they only offer it on a few specific models. Especially because it's an obvious selling point to the group they market it to (People who might consider a Macbook). I wish I could send it back and get the Best Buy model but like I said- I'm leaving soon.

Mine has ATI Mobility Radeon 4250, Quite nice for what it is, shame I can't get that keyboard!

Punch Card
Ishbar

I'm pretty jealous of the ATI card yours has, the Intel GMA HD card just feels outdated, I mean, it's 2010 and Consumer laptops STILL don't come with AT LEAST A 128MB dedicated card? 

The contrast / brightness changes really bother me, unfortunately I am long beyond Best Buys return policy and as for the Backlit Keyboard, I was one of the users on this site whom mentioned it's dimness.

The light is very faint, as compared to the MBP or several Asus / Dell models. What's the point in having it when you have to turn the display all the way to 1 / 15? 

If your model DOES have it, your spacebar will have an orange sideways bracket with several lines on the top by the leftmost side.

As far as I am aware, only ThinkPad variants ending in 26U are faceted with the illuminating keys.

Although as of right now...since getting mine repaired, it does no such thing (turn on)